Geezer

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GBGLJE, Jun 19, 2008.

1. GBGLJE

GBGLJE Inactive

Apr 9, 2008
    I see that a lot of tb'ers that name Geezer Butler as a major influence. I have been amazed at his playing since the first day I heard of Black Sabbath back in 1978.
    Ever since then I've been trying hard as possible to play the guitar like Tony Iommi, up until about a year ago, when it finally hit me that what I really want to concentrate on musically is the bass. Thanks mainly to Geezer Butler.
    I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, I thought that some of you Geezer fans might enjoy my YouTube Channel which I recently opened. As you can see by my YT name it is and will be heavily Sabbath oriented. I hope you guys/gals like it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BlkSabbass

2. Linkert

Linkert

Oct 24, 2006
    Sweden
    Love it!
    It's so extremely nice to learn song by watching other people play it on youtube!

Thank you!

3. GBGLJE

GBGLJE Inactive

Apr 9, 2008

My pleasure. If I can help anyone in any way then it's even that much better. I should have mentioned that many (but not all) Sabbath songs were tuned down to C# but I just play them all in E tuning instead. A lot of people think they tuned down to get a heavier sound but it had more to do with decreasing the string tension for Iommi's "thimbled" fingers.

4. Great work.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

But Iommi's unfortunate need for thimbled fingers resulted in the happy accident of down tuning. It does heavy things up a bit, not that there's anything wrong with standard tuning. ;)

Excellent covers, I'm stoked to see the National Acrobat cover! :bassist:

6. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I subscribed a week or so ago, I scour youtube for Sabbath bass playing. Keep up the good work!

7. The lighter tension, tuned down thing was a happy accident for sure! It totally gave them their unique sound, especially at the time.

IMO Geezer pioneered a style because he wasn't concerned with being a "traditional" bass player. He did things the way he wanted and stuck with it, even when enginners said it shouldn't be done. Rock on Geezer! :bassist: