Geezers: Is Music Still Your Medicine?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by doc540, Nov 28, 2004.

1. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas

And now

Does music still do it for ya? :bassist:
  2. The first picture looks like the bass player in Spinal Tap. Back to your question, yea, it still does it for me. :)
  3. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Spinal Tap?

I think we were on the same skill level in '72. :smug:
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    tell me that's you in both pix.............. :D
  5. Oh yeah!!!!

Just last night I'm driving home from work at 1:00 am, trying not to nod off, when the Foo Fighters cover of Darling Nikki comes on the radio!!!!! I was head banging so hard I almost missed the exit :D
  6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    It's more like music has always been it and I haven't had any choice in the matter. Sometimes it's more of a burden than not but I've tried to put it down and that's like removing a lung with a dull axe.
    So I keep doing it and occasionally it really does feel like the thing I live for.
  7. By the way doc, the Spinal Tap comparison was a compliment. By the time I could grow a decent beard my hair stated falling out, I couldn't ever get that look.

While playing music is no longer my "life," it's still my medicine. I occasionally play out, and I could not imagine what life would be like without a gig or jam session to look forward to. However, I think gravity is getting stronger, my legs don't move as fast as they did and the equipment seems to be getting heavier.
  8. Music still does it for me, now more than ever! The more I learn, the more I know I don't know.
  9. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Funny pictures there Doc. Made me have a good chuckle.

Saturday night went downtown to sit in with some friends at a pub, just to keep the fingers limber. Guitar, bass and drums, playing only requests from the audience. Unusual requests like "Eleanor Rigby....reggae style". Try that on the fly with guitar bass and drums. It was a fun one. Payment: two pints of Guinness.

Nothing beats playing with good musicians, getting through the first set, taking a break and starting up again getting lost in the music from then on. Getting your tone where you want it, feeling the energy of the song as each of you pull it along adding your own spices to it, then to have an appreciative crowd respond at the end of it. Great feeling.

It's been fueling my fire for over 30 years. And I find I appreciate more the older I get. I found many guys put away their instruments in the mid to late 20's to focus on careers and family. And I found that those that stuck to it and are still doing it in their thirties and older have a different commitment to it. It's a changed perspective somehow. I don't know how to describe it any better than that.
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Does music still do it for me?

Went to see a cello player at a church locally on Sunday,
    guy was great. Daniel Harp iirc.

He played Bruch, Debussy, ( that was a bit-ch abstract!),
    beethoven, and Foch.

Depressing to see how much more skilled others are on strings,
    oh well, there is always someone better than you, but this
    guy rocked.

Does music still do it for me?

Yeah, I am still begging for indie artists recordings to pass to my friends, buying 5 cd's from friends that need to sell, and whose music
    I love, and I have reduced my buying of commercial music.

Ya think those big mu-sick companies have noticed a sales slump yet ? Or Am I Alone Here?