Geezers tuning?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Greenantgods, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Greenantgods

Oct 18, 2004
    is his tuning standard eadg for the most part or does he drop?
  2. lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Well if you read tableature it will say that he plays EADG, but i've read in numerous articles that due to Tony dropping his tuning due to a finger injury, geezer followed suit and dropped his aswell.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm pretty sure most of Sabbath's earlier stuff is in Eb or D. Later, when they got big enough that Tony could afford a custom made guitar and custom gauged strings they went back to E (around the Master of Reality record IIRC).
  4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    sometimes 3 halftones down, Into The Void for example
  5. A lot of Sabbath riffs, although they sound to be in standard E tuning, were drop tuned to C# and played up the neck.
    Mr Iommi did this not only to slacken the strings, making it easier on his fingers, but also to give the riffs a darker sound.

A good example of this is Symptom of the Universe, the riff is in E but it's played up the neck. Notice how on the Never Say Die dvd, they're in standard tuning but they still play the riff up the neck, Ozzy's clearly having a hard time :)
  6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    IIRC he usually did D or C# for the first several albums, don't know what he did after that...
  7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    From what I gather through numerous readings is that Geezer rarely tuned down, but Iommi was in C# or D because of his finger injury (prosthetic fingertips or something?) Even if Geezer drops, he never, in any recordings I have hear, has gone below the E.

8. After Forever? Into the Void? Thrill of it All?
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath... that song gets looooooooowwwww. That's gotta be C#