1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Geman Warwick Fortress One - $900

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Blankandson, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Price:
    $900
    Strings:
    For Sale - 1994 German Warwick Fortress One 5-string bass - $900 - Body is Swamp Ash - neck is Wenge - hardware is Chrome. Original MEC pickups and preamp. Push/pull volume knob switches from Active to Passive. Other knobs are balance, treble, and bass. You can widen the slot if you wish to use non-tapered strings. Bag included. I recently purchased a new Warwick and just waited to see if I would play both - and I have not - so it's for sale.
    CONUS shipping only from Nashville, TN. Shipping and insurance with UPS, asking buyer to split the cost. IMG_7499.jpg IMG_7502.jpg IMG_7508.jpg IMG_7505.jpg IMG_7520.jpg IMG_7517.jpg IMG_7544.jpg IMG_7541.jpg IMG_7523.jpg IMG_7535.jpg IMG_7545.jpg IMG_7548.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    kingzombie1369, ODDBALL and Aaron Mc like this.
  2. kingzombie1369

kingzombie1369

May 4, 2009
    Looks great! Can I ask if you have waxed the body since sanding it down?

3. First thing I did was put two coats of Howard's Feed & Wax over it. Left each coat about 24 hrs. Then began to hand-rub a very light coat of poly finish on one edge but quit, so there is a slight shine on one edge but not on the front or back. What Warwick Forum guys (Florin, etc) said was that the dirt all over the bass was deep, so the only way to 'clean' it was to sand it down to where the finish looked clean. But then 24-48 hours later more 'dirt' came to the surface, so I had to sand again. I sanded the dirt & grime away probably 6 or 7 times before it stopped showing up. Then I put the Howards and a little poly on it. My band leader, who is a long-time Nashville bass session player, said I should just leave it alone, that it looked fine and sounded fine. So I've just left it there as you see it. My photos have added a slight yellow - it's more of a light creme color. Is this what you are wanting to know? The original finish was the Natural Satin I believe, a slight yellow tint on the wood but not much shine.

4. kingzombie1369

kingzombie1369

May 4, 2009
    Thats great information....im just wondering if would need to be sanded again since you waxed it. The prospect of staining a bass myself really appeals to me but I don't know much about it. I do love those old Fortresses though....some of the best basses Warwick built in my opinion.

5. I just got back from playing. I would re-sand a little to remove it. You can put any kind of finish on it - poly - stain - TruOil - etc. I use 1200 paper from Ace Hardware and it works fine. Most of the rougher stuff is long gone. If you do plan to refinish this or any bass, Warwick recommends removing everything, so some soldering is needed to remove and replace the pickups. Also, the neck is Wenge, which has hundreds of tiny pits in it. If you tried to use steel wool on it tiny fragments of the steel would break off and become imbedded in the holes. Then you begin to get bloody fingers. So never do that! Lots of advice online on refinishing basses and guitars. I let this one go as I was always planning on getting a new or newer Warwick, which I have done. When Warwick opened it's Nashville shop I took this bass there and had it setup, and also bought gold hardware for it. The gold is now on my new Corvette $$. I also put EMP strings (Warwick) on it and it does sound good on all five strings. Before I used DR tapered steel round wounds and they would be my second choice for strings on this bass. In February 2015 I took this bass to Orlando and had Michael at Bass Central re-adjust the truss rod and re-set the strings. He also re-set the pitch and widened the strings for me. I have since put the strings back where they are now, slightly narrower. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  6. barkohba

barkohba

Jul 26, 2016
    Body looks like maple not ashe

7. The website and Florin both say it's Swamp Ash. Looks different without the color finish.

8. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Yeah
    Yeah, it's a Transition period. Early '94 still had '93 Spec bodies shipped.
    From The History of Warwick:

Fortress One / Masterman 1994-1998

In 1994, the ash body is replaced by the maple body...

Blankandson likes this.
  9. Sold, paid for and shipped. Thanks for looking.

Subfiend likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021