Gems Benz Streamliner 600 vs Aguilar Tonehammer 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedWire75, Apr 11, 2018.

1. I’m getting back into playing with other people. I’d been playing at home through a Helix and monitor but this band will require an actual rig.

I’m currently borrowing a friend’s Genz Benz Streamliner 600 and two Aguilar GS112s. I was getting great dirty, grindy sound with the gain button on and the gain up around 3:00. Squier CV 70s P Bass. (which is a whole other thread. I’m very impressed)

I had been planning on a Tonehammer 500 and (probably) and SL212 when it’s time to buy but now I’m reconsidering. Can the Tonehammer do the same kind of overdriven sound as the Streamliner? This band doesn’t call for a clean or even cleanish bass sound.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Anyone?

3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    SL 600's all tube preamp will be hard to beat. There's a thread on how great the class D section sounds when it's breaking up. I'll dig that up for you if you can't find it. On a stupid phone now, but it was recent.

4. Option 1. Buy your mate's SL off him.

Option 2. Buy another SL.

There's a lot of them traded around TB as they were once TB amp of the several months. I think that lasted until GB was disbanded.

BadExample likes this.
  5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Ran my Streamliner at 16 ohms tonight -- a revelation

I already did option 1 and 2, now what's option 3? :D

wave rider likes this.
  6. McFarlin likes this.
  7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I could just keep it and try the prodigy. :bassist:

8. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    IMHO, the Streamliner and Aggie GS112 cabs are NOT a good match.
    Way too much low end going on there. The Tonehammer is a much better match for the GS cabs.

McFarlin likes this.
  9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Can that not be dialed back?

10. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Well, to some degree but both the amp and cabs are very bottom heavy. You'd have to do a lot of knob twiddling to tame the lows and find the mids. My friend had a Streamliner 900 and the GS112s. He struggled to get a balanced tone. I also have GS112s but with a Tonehammer 500 which has much more pronounced mids. With a Jazz Bass it's tone heaven for me.

BadExample likes this.
  11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Cool. I like dark/old school, so my perceptions may be different.

SJan3 likes this.
  12. I 100% agree with this. I’m running the bass knob all the way down. Anything more and it gets boomy. If I was buying it’d be the DB or SL for sure.

SJan3 and McFarlin like this.
  13. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Wait... I just re-read the OP's OP. The aggy's are borrowed and he likes the tone of the SL. Back to Streamliner.

14. A too fat bottom can be put on a strict HPF diet and make the bass knob into a low mid bumper.