1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gen Benz rig idea & questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MTBassMania, Mar 11, 2013.

1. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    So, I'm finally branching out into getting some pro-level gear. Initially, I wanted to get an Ampeg set-up (SVT-3 pro and 410HLF), because of the name and I've seen a lot of bassists with an Ampeg rig, and I liked the sound. Then I quickly got over that... I played an SVT-7 pro, wasn't too impressed. Not to mention almost every review I've read has stated that their construction just isn't up to standard, whether they're made in America, Korea, or where ever.

So I Googled around, and started looking into Genz Benz. I really like the ShuttleMAX 12.2 - 2 adjustable mids, a scoop at 600 Hz, clean amplification. I think it would go well with a Warwick $$ I'd like to get. Plus an Aux-In, which would be perfect to run my Minitaur in.

I'm thinking I'd like to run it into two Uber Bass 410 cabs via Speakon cables, sitting relatively beside each other (instead of vertical). I like synths, and I like to use virtual synths to make slow pans with filter sweeps (NOT wah-wah-wah dub step). So I was thinking I'd run my Mac into the parallel 1/4" ins on these cabs, via 1/8" stereo plug split to 2 1/4" mono plugs.

So here's my questions:
    1) Yep, you guessed it... Ohms. My Macbook audio out is rated at 22 Ohms, but the cabs are only 4 Ohms. Now, I read the 22 Ohms on a forum. But don't the speakers dictate the impedance, not what is supplying the power/sound?

2) Anyone know of a device I could put in between my Mac and the cabs to change the impedance?

And lastly... Does this even sound like a good idea to anyone? The idea for me was to have a stereo set-up with enough power to really articulate the psychedelic panning I've made - swimming wall of pressure moving from one side of the room to another. And I was thinking it'd be good to have my own rig, instead of trying to pump it through a PA with everyone else.

Thoughts, answers, questions are welcome!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Your MacBook impedance is fine, the aux input is plenty high. This has nothing to do with the power amp's minimum load rating or your speaker's impedance.

I would use a 1/8"TRS to 1/4"TRS cable (from your MacBook to aux in) to take advantage of the amp's internal left-right summing on the aux in. If you end up with noise when running your MacBook on the power supply, it will generally be quiet on battery power.

3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Wow :confused:

Are you talking about running the audio out from a computer directly to two bass cabs?

Trying to get fancy stereo effects to translate to a live situation is problematic, at best.

4. As is running multiple cabs that are NOT verticle.

5. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks for the quick response. However, I wouldn't be running the MacBook into the Aux In on the ShuttleMAX amp. But rather, into the parallel 1/4" ins on the back of the cabs themselves.

6. Don't think that will work

And......if you are also running your bass amp at the same time - kiss your laptop goodbye as all the wattage going from your head will also be sent into it.

7. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013

Audio Out directly into two bass cabs - That's exactly what I'm talking about. Think it'd work? :meh: I've only heard these sounds thru headphones and speakers, never in a live situation, let alone 2 bass cabs.

8. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    Hmm... I don't really understand. How would the amp's wattage be sent to the laptop? I figured the INS would be configured to only accept signals, not send signals.

But then, I guess I don't really understand parallel wiring/circuitry.

9. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    Definitely won't work.

You need to have an amplifier to drive the cabs, not a line level signal.

Think of it this way, will it work to power your car with the windshield wiper motor?

10. Well if you try it, you will learn an important lesson in chaining cabs, and your computer... :bawl:

What you are suggesting as a whole is fail.

11. Those "extra inputs" on the cab are ALSO outputs to daisy chain another cab.

The power from your head will definitely flow from the parallel input right back into your laptop.

Additionally, as stated your laptops output WILL NOT drive a speaker cabinet.

And........even if you get another amp to amplify what is coming out of your laptop, you CANNOT connect it to the same cab as you are running your bass with or you will blow both amps.

12. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    Good point. I guess I was thinking that the speakers would naturally amplify the sound. It hadn't occurred to me they'd need more power to drive them. Durp da dur...

13. temmrich

temmrich

Jan 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Now go back to the first response about the 1/8 to 1/4 and the aux in on the shuttlemax. Thats the way to get your macbook to play through your cabs, and keep anything from blowing up. Easy peasy.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Do you have a local music store? If so, I'd suggest heading by there and getting a little "bass amp 101". If not, you'll probably end up spending a lot of money on gear that you'll just blow up. ;)

15. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    True, it would. But the stereo effect I was trying to capture would be lost.

16. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    There is, but it's 50 miles away on the other side of the mountains. They told me: "Got internet at your place? Check out some forums. They have a wealth of information and knowledgable people to whom you can ask questions." I live alllooong way from the city.

17. Back to drawing board then............

Also, FYI - low end should be from a single source, not multiple cabs placed side by side or on different sides of the stage. It causes all kinds of problems out in the room.

18. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Oh no, no, no... that will let the magic smoke out of your MacBook and end up with a big, expensive mess.

The way I described is the only way to do this with what you have. If you need stereo, you will ned an entirely different signal path with a stereo mixer . Amp's direct out would feed one channel of the mixer panned center (to left and right) and the MacBook into either a stereo channel or 2 mono channels that would be panned left/right.

You might want to contemplate what you are tryingto do to see if it's really worth the added expense and hassle.

19. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Sounds like you need a PA head and/or a small mixing board.

20. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    Agreed on the contemplating. That's why I wanted to start asking questions right away, before I got too far ahead of myself. :/ It sounded cool in my head, but after the responses I got here, sounds highly... impractical, to say the least.

But the Moog Minitaur into the Aux In should work no problem, right? It has a 1/4" mono out, it's own volume and everything. At least that will give me a bass wall to drop in.

I'll probably just run the MacBook directly into a PA - sounds like that is the best option. Too bad I don't have one. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Dang it! :bawl: Really wanted that to work. Love the things you can do with synthesis these days, and I figured two 410s would really bring out the quality and craft I've put into making some of these sounds. Oh well. ;p