Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by D McCartney, Oct 30, 2005.

1. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    We as humans seem to assign gender to inanimate objects. I have heard that musical instruments are given gender and I was wondering what it is for DB? On the one hand, it has feminine curves, and a look at Paul Warburtons icon tells volumes. :D On the other hand, it is called the "bull fiddle" and has a very deep voice. Does anyone know, or have ideas?

dm

2. The bass is an extremely masculine instrument. It's large, has a very deep sound, and is difficult to carry. It's also a challenge to manuever while playing, and can be very unwieldy. It's almost like the monster truck of the string family.

In German, it has the masculine "der" attached to it, as in "der Kontrabaß." Most instruments in German are assigned either neutral or feminine articles. The tuba, for example, is "die Tuba."

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    If you want to hang around all day and night with a big burly guy, go right ahead. Me? I'm sticking with my full figured gal. :)

4. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Amen brother!!

5. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I dont know, kinda sounds like my ex-wife! :eek:

6. Interestingly enough, in French (all nouns are assigned genders, as well), the bass is given a feminine connotation..."la contrebasse", "la" being the feminine definite article...

Interesting how different languages/cultures perceive the same thing in such a different way, although my personal vote goes to the DB being a masculine instrument. ;)

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Well, I think the face says it all. I don't think I personally would ever make a face like this when wrapped around a masculine object. Unless I took up Ultimate Fighting or something.

8. Haha...I concede, and submit to change my vote to "feminine" in order to save face :p

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Maybe you as humans, but not me as humans. My bass is an INANIMATE object. It has been the recipient of quite a bit of care and attention from animate objects (like humans, oh and cats) and it is a very special inanimate object to me. But I don't assign it qualities enjoyed by living, breathing beings.

I think the current fascination with naming things is a result of too many cartoons; fabulous though the adventures of a sponge may be, it ain't really happening.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Are you implying something like this :

[​IMG]

??

I hear nudity is involved! :eek:

:D

11. D McCartney

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    It was once living and breathing. :) And even had a gender. And in some sense, it still breathes (and sings) when you play it. But you are right, we must not lose sight of reality.

As for hugging something male, :eek: I had a male dog for many years that I loved and petted all the time.

Maybe it is best left up to each person to decide for themselves. I am inclined to consider it masculine, due to it's being called the "bull fiddle."

dm

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, exactly like that! I gotta remember to check Netflix for that one.

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Actually most plants (and almost all trees) both pollinate and are pollinated. Besides cannabis, gingko trees have "gender". But I haven't seen any basses made out of gingko.

But I may have forgotten something....

14. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    hmmm a cannabis bass sounds interesting...
    I wonder what kind of a tone would that bass have...

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Smoky.

Maybe you could build beginner's basses out of it, for all those budding musicians.

16. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I forget. Is that hummus?

17. If that's hummus, I've been smoking the wrong stuff.

18. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    It's said that cannabis causes memory loss and some other things I can't remember right now...

19. D McCartney

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    I would expect it to be strong on the highs.

20. D McCartney

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    LOL, no, I haven't seen any ginko basses..yet.

But poplar, ash, boxelder and cedar are all dioecious, although I've not tasted them. ;)

dm