Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gene Perla

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    My buddy Dan told me about this; apparently some Norwegian saxophonist transcribed all of the sax solos off of Elvin's Live at the Ligthouse record (Steve Grossman and Dave Leibman, with Perla on bass). Anyway, he sends the transcriptions to Gene (who's got some kind of publishing company) and now they are touring a quartet with the Norwegian guy, Dave Leibman, Gene and some drummer playing the transcriptions.
    I mean, on one hand....but...

2. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

Ed;
    Is the Norwegian saxophonist 'playing the part' of Steve Grossman? And they are doing it note for note? That is a great CD but I'd rather hear new solos on the same tunes and just hint at the arrangements, like a Elvin tribute band. Maybe that's what they are really doing.

weird

(kinda O.T. I just got the CD of On The Mountain with Elvin, Jan Hammer and Perla, very nice)

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Dan says that they play the transcription of the solo and then blow an improvised solo. It's kinda weird, Dave Liebman playing his own solo....

4. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    They came and did a clinic at Purchase College this semester w/o Lieb. PCOCOBASS and I checked it out. I think P was there... Anyway, it was strange, and they had another cat playing the Liebman stuff who just folded after a chorus. Perla sounded great, remembered the tunes and played them well. He was still using the old Polytone pickup.

I asked him how long it took to feel comfortable playing with Elvin and he said it took him months to figure out where one was (or something to that effect). Very nice guy.

5. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    It was out....

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I was at the New School one. I cut class to see Liebman, and boy was it worth it. It was kinda weird. But the amazing part (besides Dave talking about music and life) was Dave soloing after the others played his original solos - to hear how someone grows over the years. The original solos are cool, but the solos he took that morning knocked the crap out of me. Nothing like the moment.

And yeah, Gene is quite the character - quite a sense of humor.

7. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Unfortunately, we at Purchase didn't have the pleasure of hearing Dave play. That would have made quite a big difference for sure.