Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gene Simmons 70s bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corinpills, Apr 26, 2003.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    A VH1 induced query. He started off with a Gibson Ripper, but what was that double cutaway Gibsony bass he played around the time of "Destroyer"? (before the Pedullas and the Axe). It almost looks like a really big Les Paul Jr., black- kind of short horns on the cutaway. I think it has a big old EB humbucker.

I was going to do a web search but you know, Gene is such a shy, reserved type. I know he usually avoids any self-promotion so I wasn't sure if there would be any info out there. Nah, I'm just lazy.

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
  3. simmonsforever

simmonsforever

Dec 17, 2004
    Hey guys. I happened upon this older thread, and was glad to see someone else asking this question. I would like to clarify a little bit about this bass. It isn't the Lobue, it's definitely a Gibson. I've seen photos from the Paul Lynde Halloween special in 1976, and from the Rock n Roll Over videos (from all internet sources I've read, supposedly the bass was never played live) and you can clearly see the Gibson name on the headstock. I say supposedly, because there is also a photo of Gene playing the bass in the Kiss biography "Behind The Mask", on page 69. This photo claims it's a live shot from Cleveland, OH, Spetember 3, 1976.
    Anyway, for the specifics about the bass: It's a double cutaway, with the short, LP style symmetrical horns. It's got one pickup, a chrome handrest/bridge cover, and white binding. I've emailed both the Gibson and Gene Simmons official websites, and gotten nada back from them. I have to say that I loved this bass from the first time I saw it; I thought it was the perfect design, and that all basses should look like this one!
    I have a feeling it may have been a prototype bass that either never made it to production, or had a very limited run. If anyone has any further info on this bass, or where to get one that looks like it, please let me know. Thanks!

4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    As a huge KISS fan (I play 'Gene' in Europe's #1 KISS Tribute band 'Dressed To Kill' - see www.dressed-to-kill.co.uk) I can confirm that this is the bass to which simmonsforever refers. Gene has a black one and simply changed the Gibson pickup for a DiMarzio. :bassist:

5. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    It is a Gibson 'Grabber'

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    No...

7. simmonsforever

simmonsforever

Dec 17, 2004
    Wow. Couldn't find anything on this bass for years, and one post later, here it is. Thanks to cetera and 74rickbass for the info and the photo link. Any idea how hard it may be to find one, or how expensive?