Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gene simmons axe bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geezer_Butler, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Geezer_Butler

Geezer_Butler

Feb 13, 2004
    Which modelis it and from which company?

2. Currently, Gene builds his own Axe Basses. He has had a couple of companies build them for him in the past, but no more. I believe you can buy an "Axe Bass" at www.genesimmons.com

3. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
  4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I believe the original axe bass was a Kramer, with an aluminum neck. I used to play the Hard Rock Cafe in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, and they had one hanging behind the bar with his signature on the front in black marker. Of course, I always used to check it out, though it was screwed into the wall so it couldn't be removed and played. That particular one has an aluminum headstock just like the old Kramers.

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Man, would I love to have an axe bass! :D

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Where's the link for axe basses?

8. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
  9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Didn't Rick James used to have one of those axe basses too?

10. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    yes, it was featured on one of his album covers as well.

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    What did the five fingers say to the face!?

SLAP!

I'm Rick James B****!

CHARLIE MURPHEY! Darkness everyone!

Gotta love Chappelle's show :p.

12. I have not been to the site myself...so I'm not sure. This is what Gene said in a past issue of "Bass Guitar" magazine...

13. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    What he said. A buddy of ours came down to our practice this weekend and brought his... #12 of 1000, although they only made like 125? Made in NJ Kramer, aluminum neck & headstock, short scale, single super hot output MM-style pickup, very trebly sound.

It was very cool but... I really didn't like the way it played or sounded.

14. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Doesn't surprise me that it would sound like crap, Mitch. After all, when you prance around in platforms, makeup, and armor, who cares about the quality of your instrument? :p

15. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    heh, well I would hardly call what Gene Simmons does "prancing"... personally, I've never worn any of the above and what I do would be better described as "lumbering". :p

The construction quality of the bass was top notch, I'm sure you could bust somebody's head wide open with it and the bass wouldn't require any adjustment. :D Very solidly built instrument. The aluminum neck contributes a lot to the trebly sound, along with the single bridge position MM pickup. That, plus the short scale and absence of neck pickup/thumbrest almost make it seem like a g**tarist's bass.

16. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Given Gene's playing style that''s hardly surprising, he always plays with his hand resting on a Fender P-bass-like bridge cover using picks, never his fingers.

Earlier Axe basses were made for him by Luthier Steve Carr, they differed from the Kramer ones by having Long scale necks, Dimarzio Model one humbuckers at the neck and normal headstocks. Gene can be seen playing his Steve Carr axe basses in the videos for "I was made for loving you" and "Sure know something"

[​IMG]

Steve Carr also built Gene an Axe bass for the 1996/1997 reunion tour, Gene ended up never using it because the built in flame thrower(!!!) tended to short circuit making it a "killer" bass indeed. The bass pictured below is that flammable bass.

[​IMG]

Gene had Grover Jackson (Yes that one) make him two modernized versions of his Kramers in the early eighties, they had a single EMG pickup in the middle position a long scale neck and droopy "Icehockey stick'' headstocks, gene can be seen seen playing them in the videos for ''All hell's breaking loose'' and ''Lick it up''

For live performances he only brings out the axe bass for '' God of thunder'' and ''I love it loud'' preferring his Punisher basses for the remainder of the work because the Axe basses tend to be too heavy for live use.

17. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Awesome info Blazer! Now where can I get one of those flamethrower models... ???

18. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Try contacting Steve Carr or maybe Gene Himself, he gives away his basses gladly since he "owns thousands of basses"

19. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Wow. I never noticed the graphics on the fretboard before. That whole bass is just evil! :bassist: