1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gene Simmons' "Axe" Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chandler Bing, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Anyone have any info on this? I know nothing about it. Just courious.

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    There have been several incarnations and manufacturers of Gene's Axe bass including Kramer and Jackson. But I believe the original bass was made by Steve Carr in 1979 or so.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    When I gigged the Hard Rock Cafe in St. Thomas Virgin Islands, they had an Axe bass signed by Gene hanging on the wall behind the bar. I got to check it out closely but I couldn't remove it from the wall mounting bracket (they do that to prevent theft - quite a chore to remove one of those guitars).

It was a Kramer with aluminum neck, split aluminum headstock, single EMG soapbar pickup, passive with only one volume knob.

Not very versatile, but cool as hell for his character to play.

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Eric, was there like something attached to the bass that prevented it from being removed? Or is it just the mounting bracket that's got like a kung-fu grip on it?

5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
  6. Is this guy planning a caper or what? lol

7. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
  8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

There also have been plenty of threads on it here. Repeat after me: "The search function is my friend."

9. I know that there are rumours of Jason Newsted purchasing it around that price (20k) and I notice that the whole length of the "blade" actually holds picks!

10. I have a 6" replica of one of his axe basses hanging on my wall. Along with a Nikki Sixx T-Bird, Michael Anthony JD bass and a copy of one of Dimbag Darrell's guitars (R.I.P). All immaculatly hand-made with great attention to detail. If you saw a pic of them, you'd swear they were the real thing.
    Cost me AU$15 each on Ebay. lol
    Its about as close as I'll be able to afford to the real things. Great convo starters too.
    :bassist:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021