Gene Simmons Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by da_cheat, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Does anyone know where i can find any of the basses gene simmons used, like the spector, the lobue, the axe, the gibson, the punisher or any others that i didnt mention, do u guys know of anywhere on the internet (except ebay) that i can find one of these basses for under 500 bux? :bassist:
  2. if you are looking for the actual basses he "used" (i say that because hes not much of a player) then you arent going to find them under 500... i saw a few of his on ebay and they went over 9 grand... gotta love those crazy kiss fans... if you want similar basses then youd probably have to look around... daddys junky music and other places, gibson rippers can be had under 500 but they mainly show up on ebay and since you are anti ebay for whatever reason chances of finding one of the basses similar to what he used under 500 arent very good
  3. If you're talking about Gene Simmons' signature basses , there are only 2 models I'm aware of - the Punisher and the Axe , neither of which can be had for anywhere near $500 . Going price for the Punisher is $1300 to $1500 , Axe is $3000 to $4000. Besides ebay , these instruments (new) are distributed through Spencer Gifts. Try thier website for more info ...
  4. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Staccato is another of his basses (he has two). I got mine for $800 if I remember right..not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a good bass. By the way, I found out about Gene's connection to these long after I got mine..not a fan of his.

If you want to see it, check the link in my signature.
  5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Ed Roman Guitars advertises the Axe.
  6. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    i hate the axe.. its too flashy, must be really heavy..
  7. i always thought gen used a Grabber, mahagony coloured...?
    you can definatly find one of these bad guys on eBay for cheap, however I see many stores selling at rip off prices...
  8. vintage guitar magazine has ads for independent sellers and buisnesses. they have quite a few rippers in there.
  9. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Actually he's a good, solid rock player.... no Jaco, but then I don't expect you are either (unless your member name is for real!)! :bag:

To address the original question - you may find a Gibson Grabber or Gibson Ripper (both of which he played) for under $500 but the condition may not be great.
    You are VERY unlikely to find a Kramer Axe, Staccato MG or his own new Axe & Punisher for under $1500. The Labue and Spectors were custom built for Gene in the early 70's and were not stock basses available in the shops so you won't find them anywhere. You may however find a used Pedulla for under $1000....

Hope this helps :)
  10. how about some songs with good bass lines?
    i cant recall any
  11. Gene Simmons will put his name on anything as long as someone will buy it.
  12. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man, you suck for having found that bass for so little :D there's one at bass northwest right now for like 2500.00 bucks...nice sounding bass, but i wouldn't pay that much...oh yeah, the guy that made these basses is mick jagger's brother...only about 30 were made
  13. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    What is 'good'? :eyebrow: Do you mean 'flashy and unnecessarily technical' :rolleyes: or do you mean 'solid, well written, locking the groove and fitting the song'? :bassist:

If it is the latter..... and as a bassist this is what I hope you mean(!)then the list is endless, but I'll throw in "Detroit Rock City" for starters...
  14. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001

..... and yet there he is, playing sold out concerts all over the world, earning millions for doing so, and having fans the world over, while your greatest claim to fame is having an interesting nick on an internet forum!

Yeah, I can see why you'd feel so superior to him!
  15. Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    detroit, two timer, let me know, nothing to lose, goin blind, 100,000 years, strutter, and many more. how many of genes bass intros are legendary? the fact that while playing he sings and and plays sightless is lost on many who have nothing better to do than bash gene. he's certainly not the worst player out there. id say for every better-than-gene rock bassist there are at least five that are worse than him.
    why so many of you are so happy to bring down possibly the most well known bassist is beyond me. outside of mcCartney, who has advanced the visiblity of the rock & roll bass more than gene? how many of you 'real' bassist stand at the front of the stage, sing, play loud, act the frontman part, and bag all the chicks? who has caused more kids to pick up the bass and think of the bass as being 'cool'? jaco? not likely! you might think your snobbish sarcasm is witty, but it actually makes you look like a fool ;) genes got a cool groove, whether you realise it or not.
  16. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England

Amen to all of that! :bassist:
  17. . . . . . perhaps egotistical should remember that many different styles of music are appreciated on a forum such as this. That's why there are SO many differing styles OF music. :)

Saying that, one could say that egotistical just doesn't like bass guitar in Rock-n-Roll. I grew up when the 80's rock was in it's hayday . . . . . . . . that is. . . .in the 1980's :smug: . I enjoyed the likes of Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Poison :bag: , . . . . . . . but today, my likes have changed a great deal. Now, I'd much rather listen to music that I personally find challenging, both to my ear, and as a form of a lesson for me to work on. Jazz, the more modern style, such as heard from groups like Bella Fleck are what gets my blood pumping. In the 80's, it was the rhythmic and somewhat monotonous thumping of a steady bass line. Today, I find highly technically difficult forms of music more to my liking. Doesn't mean I listen to that form of music exclusivley, but it is where I turn the most when I turn on music.

All that to say, perhaps egotistical just doesn't like the style of music played by Kiss. When such viewpoints are present, it's best to be more tactful.

I won't state what technique is "better" than another. As the style Rock-n-Roll goes, Gene Simmons did a great job.
  18. all im saying is there really isnt anything special about gene that distinguishes him from hundreds of other players, not in his bass playing... its kind of funny how everyone rushes to defend gene, but mention mark hoppus and everyone jumps all over his ability and his right to have a signature instrument... mark isnt a great player either, based on what you might hear on the songs in his album... does that mean he or gene suck? no... does that mean that if you caught them soloing or playing something outside the context of a song that you might be surprised to find out they are a lot better than they appear to be on their albums? maybe... either way im not really impressed with what gene does on his playing... i dont find it to be anything special or revolutionary, THATS MY OPINION

at no point did i say i was better than him... at no point did i say he sucked... i just dont think very much of his bass playing... im sorry that hurts so many of your feelings that you feel the need to make personal attacks on me and call me names... i love how everyone makes me out to be some kind of jaco / wooten loving bass snob when nothing could be further from the truth... for example, i like flea... hes not the best thing since sliced bread and hes not going off constantly in his songs but his basslines fit the song perfectly and i find them more interesting and creative than what ive heard gene play... that being said, is flea overated? probably but who cares... what i dont understand is why everyone gets all huffy when i express my opinion... if my opinion can cause that big of a negative reaction perhaps the opposite is true too... in whichcase i have some stock picks for you guys

when i asked for cool basslines it was because i thought maybe i missed something and i was willing to go listen to some songs to what all the fuss is about... and although some of you might have assumed that cool meant something else... cool simply means a bassline that you find interesting or one that sounds cool... thats all... anyway, i downloaded a couple of songs, and some of them are interesting but really nothing special... ive heard lots of things from a lot of less famous bassists that ive found more interesting, including a lot of clips of people on this forum... i just dont care for gene
  19. devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    All I have to say, and this might ruin yalls little opinion war thingy, but , Gene needs to shave his chest, or atleast just pluck a few cause that dude has the chest of a ****ing bear!

And to the dude who asked about his basses, I played an "axe" sig model, and its heavy as ****.
  20. I would have thought that someone would have mentioned that Gene didn't play all the bass lines on the recordings.