1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gene Simmons live rig nowadays

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hrgiger, Mar 30, 2009.

1. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    so I read an article years ago where it talked about gene simmons' live rig, but i couldn't find any info anywhere and the magazine is long gone, so I spoke with his tech Spike and he said basically this is it:

1 SVT-2 Pro
    1 810 cab
    Nady 950 wireless
    Roland 555 space/echo (for solo) controlled by manipulating the intensity and tape speed

with an amp/cab as backup

so I guess when gene said it didn't matter what you used for an amp basically he meant that like a race car driver doesn't really make engine decisions - he drives the car, gene leaves the 'gearhead' stuff to Spike and he does the performing.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love Gene but he's no brain surgeon.

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Not much of a player neither.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    That's because he's a ROCKET SCIENTIST!

----------->Roland 555 space/echo

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Too bad Gene can't leaving the 'performing' stuff to someone else too, so he can do just the posing... :rolleyes:

MM

6. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Nobody ever said life was fair.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ultimately he's right, though. If you can plug in a few cables, that's all the knowledge that you really need to play bass outside of playing bass itself.

8. He's an ENTERTAINER!!!! With a tongue as big as his ego! I think he's funny!

9. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    i think he actually went further than that, and said it really was about the songs.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    He would know. He's written quite a few classics.

11. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Yeah, he doesn't know or care about what he plugs into. What?? I don't know what it is! I can't be bothered.
    That's why he's been using Ampeg SVT heads and Ampeg SVT 8x10 cabs exclusively since at least 1974.
    Pure randon chance.

12. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Year ago in Prague he had customized SVT CL ( or VR ) and customized 8x10( silver metal grill ) cab. Cranked up to high-distortion.

He had .. twenty of them ;)
    Most of the was dummy. But it looked pretty damn impressive. And sounded great.

[​IMG]

13. It's definitely the gear, not Gene that sounds good. I'm sorry, but the footage I've seen of his bass solos is really comical to the point of embarassment.

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    The satisfied grin of an SVT 810 X 20 = 2,800 lbs. of bass cabs man with a road crew. :D

15. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Yup. He's pretty straightforward pick guitary-type-bass player. BUT he's got some great and supportive basslines.

For me he's someone like "Roger Waters of Kiss". Roger never cared about the bass, the sound, the technique.
    When he couldn't play something ( which was very often then and nowadays ) he just hired someone who could ;)

Pity that KISS became more like a circus than a rock band. They said few years ago they are afraid to make new album, because it will never be as good as Destroyer and the fans will be disappointed.

16. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    gene Simmons plays bass?

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Is Gene Simmons still alive? ;)

I'd love to see the geriatric version of KISS, with Gene rolling his tongue out and not being able to put it back in without help from a real version of the old cartoon lady in Playboy. :eyebrow:

Props to the money making machine that is KISS. Gene himself acknowledged it wasn't even about the music...it was ALL about money from entertaining people. Gene himself doesn't care about his rig, or his sound. That's not his job. He's an entertainer far more than a musician (and he admits that himself). I read an interview with him where he said the only reason he played the Gibson bass was because it looked cool. He didn't care what it sounded like. Gene is the ultimate poser and readily admits it himself. Heck he revels in it and he knows better than anybody how to turn that into millions of dollars.

What's his rig? He's more concerned with what his bank account is. Nothing wrong with that...I'm just sayin'

18. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I seem to recall the drivers in the 8X10s were JBLs.

Chaim Witz is a very clever person, who as a band member saw and kept control of the business of musical entertainment for his act. Whether he compares with the Wootens of the bass world is immaterial.

Back in '78/79 readers of Guitar Player threw a fit when Ace Frehley was on the cover and Kiss were the lead story. The letters page itself was a feature in the next issues. The number of players today who were inspired to take up an instrument and are incredibly prolific today, because of Kiss puts that to rest. If anyone like the songs, you like it, if you don't you don't. No point in lambasting Kiss musicianship - one might as well say Trini Lopez was no fast fingered lydian mode guitar superstar despite having a signature Gibson, but that was never the point. It's like arguing whether or not Hulk Hogan is a sportsman or true athelete.

19. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Well said, although the facts don't always matter here.
    Love the Hulk analogy and also very true.

20. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Absolutely. Dimebag Darrel had Ace's picture tattooed on him. When asked his influences, Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers mentions one band, Kiss. In fact, Smith claims to be in the audience picture in Kiss Alive (at about age 13). He cites that as one of his greatest moments.
    I was never that into Kiss but they could play and write good songs and rock. Simmons is a good bass player. The one that puzzled me was Peter Criss. He was like a surf drummer in a hard rock band.