1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gene Simmons Playing a Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lavmonga, Jan 31, 2017.

1. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Found this on Youtube and thought the KISSheads would like it. Gene "playing" a Tbird in 1992:

and this old one from 1977 too - playing for real this time:

rickwebb likes this.
  2. Interesting, don't think I've ever seen Gene play anything but his custom Corts and the Gibson Ripper he used for the first few tours.

I was never really a fan, but for some reason I just couldn't think of them as Kiss in the no make up period.

3. He was kind of all over for a little while. Spectors, maybe BC Rich. I stopped paying attention a long time ago.

4. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Yeah he played Spectors for a while from the mid 70s through the 80s. Played Pedullas and BC Riches as well until he settled on the Punisher in the early 90s.

5. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Chronologically:
    LoBue
    Gibson Grabber (2)
    70s P-Bass (backup)
    Gibson Ripper
    LoBue (again)
    Modded Slab-body '59-'60 EB-0 (briefly)
    Spector
    Pedulla
    Punisher / Axe (by several different mfrs)
    The Thunderbird made occasional appearances in the late 70s, and other brands like Kramer, BC Rich, etc, later on - but by and large it was the above basses. Rumor had it that a Rick 4001 was used on Rock and Roll Over, and the Ripper returned to some degree for Sonic Boom - at least in the studio.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Are you kidding? He'd play a Daisy Rock if they paid him.

7. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    And charge $25,000 for a signed one from his official website.

Dark Red Moon and buldog5151bass like this.
  8. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Just a FYI type of thing. Gene in the studio was known for playing all different brands of basses and guitars and amps. Whatever he thought sounded best for what he was doing. He used gibson ripper and thunderbirds, Fender jazz basses, ampeg and fender amps,and many more that I don't remember to list.