1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gene Simmons playing this Jazz bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Barley, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Bob Barley

Bob Barley

Jun 13, 2011
    I love me some jazz basses, and I also love me some Kiss once in a while, much as I'm afraid to admit that.

But I ran across a pretty cool clip of Kiss playing with no makeup and Gene is playing a pretty sweet jazz bass. Really like that tone and the bassline, but it looks like he's having trouble with the G string or something.

First time I've ever seen Gene playing a jazz bass, I know he owned a P bass back in the day.

But I absolutely love that finish!

:bassist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f244E0NRdk

2. Now THAT is wrong and scary.

:D

3. It's a Sadowsky.

4. Bob Barley

Bob Barley

Jun 13, 2011
    I guess it definitely is, upon further inspection of the headstock.

Nice bass though

5. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    That was awesome. Thanks.

6. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Yep...a Sadowsky. Come on Roger...make a Gene Simmons Sadowsky Axe bass. :)

7. He's having probs with the G string for the same reason I don't like a Jazz bass for pick playing. The location of the control knobs. If he keeps his picking hand in the place he is accustomed to his hand will smack into the knobs when he picks the G. That's why he keeps shifting up and down.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Looks like they borrowed another band's gear to play this tune.

9. A Sadowsky axe? Hmmmm ..... ;)

10. Bob Barley

Bob Barley

Jun 13, 2011
    I like that bass alot. As a side note, this is actually a rather complicated bassline to play while also singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtubDq8OlOQ

Also, is that an Aguilar head he's playing through in the first vid I posted?

11. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    That link took me to this one, in which he's playing a different Jazz, not a Sadowsky. Looks like a 70's Jazz or *gasp* a Vintage Modified.

Guitars are different in both vids as well, so probably just flown in and playing the house band's gear.

12. Bob Barley

Bob Barley

Jun 13, 2011
    Still pretty cool nonetheless. Also, I like the tone alot in the second clip I posted of the studio track.