Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gene Simmons' Rock School

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Sep 3, 2005.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Has anyone seen this damned show? I just saw an episode where the kids were trying out for bass and all he had them do was strum an open E in 8ths. Apparently the bass is to also be handled like a weapon? Interesting.

Needless to say, this show is great, in that not-great sense.

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Agreed. Gene Simmons' musicianship really shines through in the show... unfortunately

3. Cool show, but I swear I've seen this concept somewhere else... :rolleyes:

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    That show is on at the same time as Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D List. Kathy Griffin is awesome.

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    It's sad how nobody wanted to play bass :(

6. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Then the stuck-up prissy girl was going all "I didn't feel like I was actually playing music"

:scowl:

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I watched that show for a couple minutes. I heard one girl bitching about bass, but then it showed her trying out guitar and Gene taugh her how to play an E power chord and do the "smell your armpit pose" and she was in the lead for being a guitarist.

At least School of Rock was kinda funny, this is just sad.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i think the show is pretty cool.

9. That girl said "I want to be the guitarist, or last resort, bass..."

Last resort!? That killed me... :bawl:

10. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Do you think Emperor is a strong vocalist?

11. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Agreed..

Now personally, I think the show would have KICKED ASS if Jack Black taught it. He may not be a great guitarist or anything but he's wicked cool. :D

12. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    ditto

13. Gene Simmons should probably learn to play the bass himself before he tries to teach anyone else....

:bag:

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I think Jack Black is a turd. I think school of rock was a giant disgrace.

15. Sadly sometimes only a bass player truly understands how important the bass is to the song. The guitarist gets all the glory.
    While us bassplayers are left to clean up all the gear and load it into the truck :scowl: Not to knock the music they will be playing. IM guessing the bassline wont be to complicated, making the bass apear to be a boring insturment. And i agree Jack Black would have been a better choice.

16. MurdocRocks

MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA

+1 It was an insult to rock and roll

I remember after seeing the movie with my friends, I said that it was crap. They told me that I just didn't understand the rocknroll jokes in it. :rolleyes:

17. He seems like the type to go around stabbing people. So, I'd probably hang out with him.

He's not a good singer, but he's got a lot of heart.

18. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I think thats the whole point of the show.

Except the girl they got to play bass, he's trying to get her to go out of her comfort zone and have fun.

19. Actually, the girl on bass was complaining that Gene didn't teach her notes or anything, just had her play one note. That's why she complained she was not doing music.

Say, somebody gave her real bass lessons, she'd be happy.

I could do better than Gene, and I just know basics.

I mean, even with rock history. No talk about classical influence on 70s prog rock and 80s metal, Brit bands like The Jam or The Clash, the classics from the 50s and 60s...

And then he ain't tlling them about basics like... using the amplifier and the controls like bass, mids, and highs...

Oh wait, it's a TV show! :D

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You think Gene would appreciate good bass playing. Whoever played his bass on some Kiss albums was pretty good.