Gene Simmons says you can only be heard if you play with a pick

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lermgalieu, Feb 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeteCarlton

PeteCarlton

Jan 20, 2019
    That would be guilt by association.

2. fessSto

fessSto

Feb 11, 2020
    I think this might have to do more with who's mixing the sound. If I am playing through my amp in a club setting my bass always cuts through and I play fingers 95% of the time. However, when I play on a silent stage direct to the board, depending on who is engineering, I have received feedback that they can't hear my bass nor is it easy to discern on the recording.

3. 640px-Paul_McCartney_live_in_Dublin.jpg
    It works for this guy....

One of my less well known pick playing Bassists is Bill "the Electric" Church. He played for Van Morrison in '71 on "Tupelo Honey" and '72 "Saint Dominic's Preview." Montrose first album, then when Sammy left after Ronnie Montrose went to do Edgar Winter Group "They Only Come Out at Night" he regrouped with Hagar in '76, until Sammy was hired by Van Halen in '85.

I also really like listening to Bobby Vega play. Check his cred...Bo Diddley, Sly Stone all the Bay area groups..his pick playing is off world!

Jameson was an upright player, never heard of a pick. Carol Kaye was a guitarist first. Times change....

HelpImaRock likes this.
  4. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Agree strongly!! -Stupid, ridiculous, immature kid culture! :spit: Fine for screaming children maybe, but IMO Kiss's music, moronic antics, (and Simmons' :vomit: opinions) have never grown out of the kiddy-bopper stage of life.. :rolleyes:
    Play with your fingers or a pick, whatever you like. And be an adult and have nice conversations with your band and/or sound guy if you don't think you're being heard... -Maybe you both need to change something? :cool:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    bassmike2010 and foolforthecity like this.
  5. Planetguitar

Planetguitar

Feb 25, 2022
    Funny, I got a pick of his from the Animalize tour. It was a relative medium or light. I’m gonna look this up because the pic was light gray with some grip on it, were you hold it with your finger and thumb was a little bit thicker than where you take the strings. Let me take a look and I’ll post it to this thread.
    View attachment 4606183

6. Squirey

Squirey

Mar 7, 2018
    Ha ha. I always wondered why Jaco was so hard to hear. Oh … wait.

7. DECEMBER

DECEMBER

Jul 14, 2021
    A pick definitely makes it brighter with a sharper attack. Sometimes I use steel picks on bass for really bright sound.

8. timplog

timplog Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2016
    santa fe, new mexico
    that's ok-I always wondered how anyone could play well in all that gear, pick or no. maybe....
    I think bassists who play percussively with their fingers can pretty much cut through the mix as easily as a pick but my mileage may not be YMMV.
    plus it seems to me that many bassists, or bands, or songs want the bass to be this sort of not quite definable low end ambiance generator that doesn't get in the way.
    which is of course perfect, too.

Bruno1950 likes this.
  9. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    upload_2022-3-2_14-55-42.png
    Does Gene know about this part of his amp?

Mickey666 likes this.
  10. The Hook 1988

The Hook 1988

Oct 7, 2019
    Sometimes true of beginners that use a pick. Apparently he doesn't have my fingers or my thumb.Cuts through as well as a pick if thats what I want. I may on occasion use a pick to create a particular tone or vibe, but doesn't change the mix.

11. Just dig in a little harder, Gene. They'll hear you just fine.

GregC and Modulus 96 like this.
  12. When it comes to marketing your band , Gene is the mench, as for playing bass….. crickets can be heard in the room, lol

eldorado2001 and bassmike2010 like this.
  13. megwell69

megwell69

Aug 16, 2020
    I've always heard Geddy in the mix without a pick. If a person knows how to EQ their rig there shouldn't be an issue IMO

timplog, Mickey666 and bassmike2010 like this.
  14. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Worcester, Mass

Respectfully, :laugh: even though I'm mainly a fingerstyle player, picks do make a bass sound more defined. I mean my playing can definitely be heard and is defined but when I use a pick it's even clearer. I like both styles and play both styles.

foothilla likes this.
  15. It doesn’t matter. Chris Squire used a pick, Geddy Lee uses his fingers. Both had volume, nuance and definition. Gene is a very shrewd businessman, but not much of a bassist.

bassmike2010 likes this.
  16. Agreed. And who care what Gene Simmons, of all people, has to say about anything?
    S

17. Robot.G

Robot.G Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    West Michigan
    None
    I wonder how many of us might not realize that Gene is actually our biological father?

Hummergeist and Tendril like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.