1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gene Simmons SVT Vintage Reissue???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twdavis13, Apr 12, 2009.

1. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    And NO!! BigOldHarry, It's ANOTHER Gene Simmons Thred!!

Grow Up and Get OVer It!!

Anyway, I was wondering If Gene's SVT's here are the same as the modern day SVT Vintage Reissues??

look at 1:08

2. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Well, I can get that tone, especially that vicious slide, on my SVT Classic. But it's a versatile amp.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, they're not the same as the VR, but they might as well be IMHO. I've found very little difference in tone with the vintage style SVT's over the years.

4. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    ok jus wonderin

5. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
  6. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    i guess a better question would have been whether or not there is a big difference bt
    between the Vintage Reissue and the vintages gene was using

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Here's the difference...the old SVT's use a bunch of tubes that became hard to get in the early 80's, so it was redesigned to use more common tubes, which was fine since the tubes that got replaced were just different versions of the same tubes. So the newer VR's sound very much like the old ones. The cabs are a different story, but the VR and the old vintage models are a lot more alike than different.

I'd still take a vintage SVT over a VR any day, though. You can find some really sweet deals on vintage SVT's that are just as reliable as the new ones, maybe even more so.

8. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008

yeah, that's kinda what i was gonna aim for. i tried an SVT classic and it was awesome, but EXPENSIVE!!! i have yet to try out an SVT-VR tho. Guess i'll be going to Guitar Center this weekend:bassist:

9. I thought the gene simmons SVT was solid state?

10. Gene looks like such a cornball at 1:08. Who taught him those moves??

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    ew.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It is. Looks like he's using it, too. At least onstage he's displaying a whole bunch of them. But given his penchant for dummy cabs, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he's got an SVT 2 Pro or two tucked away where we can't see them.

13. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Probably the same person who told him wearing platforms was a great idea.

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    man, they sound like a bunch of amateurs in that video.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hey, I stole that move from Gene!

16. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    The "Gene Simmons Punisher Rig" that Ampeg put out in '98 was solid state. Basically it was just a re-badged SVT-350H. The cabinet though sported JBL's as opposed to the stock Ampeg/Eminence and is a kick ass cabinet. I have the cabinet but never bought the head. I talked to someone at SLM back then who said Gene went with that head as opposed to a Vintage SVT (like in the video) or an SVT-Classic (which he was using around '98) to base his "Punisher Rig" on because the 350-H was a relatively low cost amp and his margin for profit would be huge. He also said SLM couldnt justify charging "all tube signature price" for just an SVT-350, and so they never made it into full production- they just made them for NAMM.

http://www.geocities.com/crawlwithdrawl/ampeg.html

17. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    aside from the recent tour, this is actually one of the tightest performances i've seen of them, and I think it's very similar to Alive.:spit:

18. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    maybe this is a bit farfetched, but It seems to me that the sound thats coming out of those cabs is wayyy too warm, and tube-ish sounding to be solid state. And besides, I think there was only one time Gene used solid state amps and it was during the Revenge tour, and he used a crapload of Gallien Kruegers(I believe:smug:). Nowadays he DEFINITELY uses dummy cabs and just has one SVT VR backstage hooked to either a 4x10 cab or 8x10 and has it mic'd into the soundboard. :bassist:

19. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    bump

20. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    one SVT-2 Pro
    one 810