Gene simmons tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass_drum, May 25, 2005.

1. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey guys, do you know what bass/eq settings gene simmons used on the song C'mon and love me?
    It cuts through great, and it isnt to bassy, yet has a bit of growl. I LOVE IT!
  2. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    That my boy, is the magic of a Gibson bass thru an Ampeg
    (Even though countless others seem to believe that
    Gibson Basses =Mud
    Ampegs =Mud
  3. Now now this isn't with the Gene Simmons already.
  4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Gibson through Ampeg is one of those very rare occasions where two wrongs DO make a right.
  5. Was Gene using a Gibson at this time?
    Apparantly he played this bass on the 1st three KISS albums.
    A custom bass made by Charlie Lobue. :confused:
    I haven't heard of him either.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice attitude. How many hit records have you played on?
    Nicko Goodwin likes this.
  7. Drop it already.

How many hundreds of thousands of bass players have you influenced?

thought so.

Gene's bass parts ruled for what they did. His tone left a lot to be desired.
  8. Nice attitude. That is your criterion for talent? Enjoy your Britney and 50 Cent cd's...
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't listen to Britney, but I wouldn't mind playing in her backup band.

Musical snobbery is so cool.:rolleyes:
  10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Along with everyone else, I'd hazard to guess that GS used a Gibson Ripper and an SVT along with a little direct signal during the time that "Dressed to Kill" came out. He probably used really dead strings, too. Gene's one of the not-as-rare-as-you-think rock stars that aren't too hung up on gear.
  11. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    You needed to be there in the 70's to appreciate just how huge Kiss were. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I went from Gene to Stanley and Jaco, to Anthony Jackson to Mingus etc. He was an influence, although I'm embarassed at how little integrity he maintains when it comes to money, but that can be a lesson also.
    It takes some coordination to play bass and sing a counter line. Gene was an influence on millions of bassists. That can't be bad...
    Another thing is, you younger TB'ers have to understand the time frame that spawned kiss is different from what you're seeing today. I find it hard to relate to Jack Bruce's distorted tone compared to the super clean bass sounds of today, but at the time, his playing was advanced. Because of Gene, some bassists want to write their own material, Simmons got the idea from McCartney. Open up your minds, for ex. if you like Lenny Kravitz'x song "Fly Away", listen to Kiss's "Calling DR. Love" and spot the influence.
  12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Genes tone and playing on Alive III and Revenge were really cool. I saw them on that tour and liked the show a lot. Even the cheesy 70s and 80s songs were done really tightly with awesome tone all around.

Much better than the reunion tour.