Gene Simmons

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by HappyMikey, Jul 16, 2003.

1. What do you all think of good 'ole Gene?

I really like his stuff,although on stage he's more concerned with looking good rather then sounding good from what I saw.
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Have a listen to "Sure know something". That was one of the first bass lines to ever catch my attention as a youngster.

While you're at it, listen to "Torpedo Girl".
  3. Gene is by no means a ground breaking player, but he has got to be one of the tightest and most solid out there.
  4. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Gene Simmons is not a good bassist. "ghost" musicians did the KISS bass lines.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Gawwwd.... I didn't know that! Those are still good bass lines though!
  6. what?
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I always viewed Kiss as kiddie rock.
  8. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    like the murderdolls...
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    in their defense, they put on a really entertaining stage show, playing aside...
  10. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Warren Haynes(Allman Bros./Gov't Mule)is from my hometown,and he hosts an annual xmas jam every year to benefit Habitat for Humanity.
    At one of these shows,I heard him talking about a NYC KISS show,and the after show party that they had.
    He and Allen Woody were at the party,and apparently Gene was pissed off,and was going through some rant about how the crowd wasn't getting into the show as much as he thought they should have been.
    It seems that those who were around Gene were starting to get sick of him constantly complaining about it,so when he finally hit a silent moment in his tyrade on the audience,Allen chimed in and said,"Maybe it was because of that bull**** bass solo you played."
    Then Al walked off in the dead silence that ensued.I thought that was funny as hell.
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Gene Simons? well he sure has a long tongue...:D :D unlike this short one: :p
    :D :D
  12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    well, if not for dummies, then for lazy-a$$e$
  13. isnt this like the 10th Gene simmons thread in the last 2 months?
  14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I said it once and I'll say it again...

Carol Kaye played all of the studio Kiss bass lines.
  15. carol kaye, no way, thats stoopid

gean simminds totally rocks, he is the bestt
    and he makes mor mney then aneyboddy here
    so how badd is that d00d!!
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Bob Ezrin once said that he played bass on some of the kiss tracks that he produced. Perhaps he was full of it, who knows. Only Gene can say for sure.

One thing that's my personal opinion only, if you listed to that monster riff in Detroit Rock City, I have a VERY hard time believing that Gene played that line himself. Nothing I've ever seen or heard from him leads me to believe that he can be that nimble.
  17. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    KISS has several live albums that he plays the hard interesting lines on. I don't think he fakes the lines live - and KISS is a live band. They don't always match the studio version but they are usually close.
    Whether he played on the original recordings or it was a studio musician should not matter. I think he can play very difficult lines as I have seen him live. Many artists cannot play exactly what they recorded in the studio (as they may have overdubbed or punched in at points in a song).
  18. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I smell something!