Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

general amp question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott D, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    argh, i feel like such a newbie for asking this, but is it bad if i have my gain cranked all the way on my SVT-3 Pro? my Ibanez is really hot (its a passive though...) so i have to have the gain like all the way down, which makes me have to turn up alot. today, i hit the -15 DB and cranked the gain all the way up, and i got alot more volume and better tone, and it will not clip at all, even when i slam on that Low D. so i was just wondering if its bad... (harmful to the tubes and such...)

thanks,
    Scott

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    as long as the clip light (if you have one) or you don't hear distortion then you should be o.k. if your trying to get distortion through the gain you should consult your owners manual to see if they advise getting distortion that way.

You might get better tone if you leave the 15db pad off and use the gain until it clips or distorts and back it off a bit.

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    well my bass is really really hot, and if i don't have the pad in, my gain has to be set around 9 oclock... and even then it still clips. if i take down any more gain there is no volume. i'm not trying to get distortion, but i think it sounds alot better with the -15 db pad in and the gain cranked. but is it harmful for the tubes?