1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

General ampeg power help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAT TAT TAT, Apr 5, 2006.

1. ok, i have a svt3pro and ran it with my 610 hlf and that cab didnt handle it well (usually had the volume at about max) and then i got a 410he and a 15e and still same thing. speakers distorting and just not enough power. im looking to get the 4pro. what cab(s) should i get that will handle this well at high settings?

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    OK... The 3PRO is not too much power for the 610HLF.

I'll bet you have the lows boosted.... maybe a lot.

The 610, as a ported cabinet, and combined with running out of power due to boosted lows....possibly bad.

Between possible clipping, and hitting the cab with extra low-lows, it might not get too loud without some trouble.

You may not want to hear this, but if you take off some of the low boost (like the ultra-low switch) you can increase clarity and volume and won't lose much actual low end.

If you really gotta have everyone's pants flapping and the bottles falling off the bar shelves.... you don't have enough power or speakers yet.

3. Yah, I would think that you having your volume maxed would have more to do with the distortion than the cab you were playing through.

I think pretty much any amp is going to distort through any cab if you have it dimed.

4. i dont have the low boost on or the eq on i just keep the bass knob at about 2-3 o'clock. i think what nicoli says makes more sense to me as being the problem. so now which cabinet configuration would you all go for with the 4pro. my current 410 and 115 or the 810?

5. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Not enough power is a common complaint among 3pro owners, it's a great amp but some people want LOUD!

Maybe bring your speakers to the dealer you plan on buying from? An SVT4pro is sure to run you about 1200 new, and they should have no problem with letting you try it out. If they do, walk.

I've played the 4pro through an ampeg 8x10 refrigerator, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Well, nothing that a bottle of ben gay and a back rub after hauling it around won't cure!

You may be told by a salesman that you should look into one of those nifty PR410HLF cabs, but unless you plan on shelling out about 2 large for the two of them it would take to run the amp at high volume, I'd stick with the classic fridge. I tried one at GC hooked up to the 4pro and all I got was a huge fart on the B. Which brings me to a question, do you play four or five string?

6. thanks for all the input lesfleanut, i play a 4 string in CGCF tuning.

7. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    just a note about the SVT-3PRO

to get max UNDISTORTED volume
    (input) "gain" set so that red LED just barely flashes on most notes
    "ultra lo" "off"
    all EQ pots flat (12 o'clock)
    "tube gain" max
    "graphic EQ" "on" with all sliders at "0" except the volume (far right side)one. that one up all the way
    "master" to suit your taste

It should go without saying that one should use a highly efficient(high sensitivity) 4 ohm cabinet.

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    You have two choices that I see.

1. spend more time learning how to properly dial in the 3 pro (it does take a bit of tweeking to get it right IME)

2. get another rig

and I +1 Jerrold

"If you really gotta have everyone's pants flapping and the bottles falling off the bar shelves.... you don't have enough power or speakers yet."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres the best way I have found to get the most tone & volume out of my 3 pro setup. I used a 410E + 15E. FYI, I just cut/pasted this, I did read that you are not using the ultra low.

First a little intro...

* the ultra low scoops almost all of the mids while adding lows & highs. this KILLS your volume since the mids are where the meat of your tone reside. PA subwoofers are what produce the HUGE low end you hear at concerts, not the bass rig alone, so stay away from the ultra low. Also, you use an SVT 610 cab... that cab can be very boomy if you dont roll off the lows.

Here are my tips for dialing in a 3 pro-

1. Turn tube gain to 10
    2. Do not depress any buttons (unless you bass is REALLY hot- use the pad)
    3. Adjust the input gain so it flashes only during the loudest passages (when you are playing the loudest)
    4. Adjust the eq Knobs (bass, treble, etc) until you think it sounds best. I preferred the #4 setting for the mid select.
    5. when you think you have dailed the best possible tone you can get, depress the EQ button, boost the bass & treble on the graphic eq. For me the "smile" eq is what made its tone sound like an ampeg. ***But Remember - Don't scoop ALL the mids, add in the bass & highs.***

Another tip is when you think you are maxed out on volume, the last eq slider is a volume control- turn it up.

You can get the amp sounding good & very loud without it farting out but you just need to make small adjustments, step back & listen, then adjust more until you are happy. I would get it "just" into the fart zone and then back off a little. If you need more of the really high frequencies, turn up the horn in your cab or use the ulra hi button, but the ultra hi can be harsh with too much of the horn added in IMO.

Its really not that hard to dial it in if you have a good starting reference & remember the 3 pro is not a "growling" beast like the all tube SVT's, it's pretty clean sounding- a lot like an SVT before you really get it hot.

**heres some new info. i never tried this since i always found it more full sounding with the tube gain maxed,
    but i "think" you might be able to get more "growl" out of the 3 pro if you turn down the tube gain.