Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

General Effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funk Warts, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    As an aspiring bass player I want to get several bass effects to enhance my sound etc etc.

I already have a wah-wah pedal (very nice) but I need to know what these ones do:

Octave pedal
    Chorus pedal
    Bass 'Synth'

All help greatly appreciated. I know I'm stupid, but there ya go

2. Octave pedals, depending on which one ya get, either make the original sound, plus one an octave below it, or one above it. If you play an E on the D string, it will make the E your playing plus either the open E string, or 14th fret D string.

Chorus makes it seem like there are many basses playing at the same time, with a bit of a delay.

Synth makes your bass sound like a synth

3. I've tried out the OC-2 Octave pedal, and found it completely useless... but that's my opinion. Second octave down was useless. Anything below a low E was unintelligible. I know Will Lee uses and likes it, but I was left cold by it.

If you want an example of Bass Chorus...listen to Tool. Justin uses one quite a bit. Listen to the beginning of 46&2. That's chorus. I really like the sound for when I'm the only one playing (Like stuff I record of myself) I've found it can also work good for Funk if you keep it light.

Synth is pretty self explainatory. The Boss SYB-3 Has 7 different waveform synths, 2 W-shapers (Synth-y sounding) and T-Wah (Touch Wah, kinda a envelope filter vibe). It is a tracking Wah, works neat for slap/pop. Plus the Boss has a Hold function, so you can trigger the Synth note, hold it and play underneath it. Great Effect. Even for $100-$130 used. The E-H Bass Microsynth also sounds great, good tracking (Picks up on the Bass note being played) But, Too many sliders for performing on stage. Would be great to record with.

HTH

I'd suggest a chorus first,