Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

General Impressions Of Crate Bass Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aristotle, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    They are pretty cheap price wise, but how about quality? Anyone ever try any of the cabs or heads? Just curious, thanks.

2. I've had two Crate combo amps and have no complaints, considering what I paid for them. My first one (both are/were "bedroom" amps BTW) was the 50 watt model with a 12'' and it got reasonably loud. It sounded far better across the board then the SWR LA series and Fender amps in the same price range. I could get away with jams in a small room with a sensible drummer and guitarist with it as well. Sold it to cover some GAS. Next (and still) is a little 15 watt job with an 8''. Not a bad sounding little box! Not very loud but works fine for around the house. I got it from GC for $65 on sale. I've never (and probably wouldn't consider) used them for gigging. If you want a cheap combo loud enough for something like that go with a used Peavey.

3. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Anyone ever try any of the heads or cabs?

4. I tried their 100w combo, and it was alright for the price, but I'd take a Fender Bassman over it anyday.

5. I played a BX100 for over a year.. It was very powerfull and strong sounding.. It keept nice prescence at loud volumes.. but is wasn't very gentle with the high freqs.

6. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I heard a guy the other night play with a Crate 4x10. Sounded pretty bad to my ears, kind of distorted.