Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

General Impressions of Line6 Equipment

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Love/like it

33 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Hate/dislike it

16 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Undecided

28 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. Like some, but also dislike some

31 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. I was just wondering what the majority of the people feel who use Line6 equipment, because I have heard a lot of good things a lot of not so good things. Please explain your answers and what equipment you own/tried out.

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I DO NOT own or plan to own any Line 6 gear (for now at least ;) ) but a friends brand new guitar head blew on him at a show, and left him stranded.

However, another bud of mine uses a Bass Pod for studio stuff, and absolutely loves it.

Batting .500 with me;)

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I have a DL-4 and I'm very happy with it. Its pretty robust (although the downside is that it's also pretty heavy) and is well designed. Can't speak for any of their other stuff though (well except for the power supply and expression pedal I use with the DL-4 - those are also both well made).

Wulf

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Some I like, some I don't.

I don't like the POD. Definitely not what I'm looking for.
    Their pedals are killers.
    I love the DL4.

I used to have a FM4 but got rid of it.
    Excellent overall quality, really easy to use, very good construction, killer filters. Now, I was basically looking for a bass synth, and synth sounds on the FM4 are too much guitar oriented.

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Love/hate it.

All their stuff I've used (Bass Pod, Guitar Pod, DL4, Floor Board) seems to be really well designed and constructed, but to have huge flaws inherent in it.

For example, the octave down and bass synth effects on the Bass Pod are completely useless, due to poor tracking. The Pod only has one effect control knob, too...So your phaser sound can go slow and shallow, or deep and fast, but not slow and deep...Which bites. There's also a delay when switching channels, which bites...But the overall sound is great, for the most part.

I'd say find a friend who has the gear you're looking at, and play on theirs for a while, asking lotsa questions.

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    love/like

I have a Bass pod pro, Vetta combo, Flextone Combo. I have also used some of the pedals. I plan to get a delay modeler soon.

I have never had a problem with any of these except when my Vetta software needed to be updated. I apparently had Beta-tester software in the amp. (Line6 replaced it for free and free shipping as well)

All of the gear seems to be well built.

I love the BPP in the studio, I have yet to use it live. I have the floorboard for it as well.

Some of the sounds are not to my liking, but I have been able to get some great tones after fiddling with the knobs for a while.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You have a Deep Impact now for synth stuff don't you? I've got a Deep Impact too but I'd like to get an envelope filter as well and have been thinking about the FM4 - would you recommend it over the more conventional filters out there?

Alex

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i don't and haven't owned any line 6 stuff, but it seems like every guitar player in town does. i think it all sounds great, and i especially like the modeling pedals. PP's guitar player uses a line6 ax212, and while it sounds freaking incredible, about every 6- 8 months it freaks out, starts randomly selecting patches, and needs to be sent in. it just blew again last week for the 4th time.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think the guitar version is much better than the bass version.
    I don't like the FX quality (octaver) and I thought it was quite noisy.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Tried the bass pod but I didn't like it, kind of muffled sound and noisy. A previous band member had two guitar pods he liked a lot, but no-one else in the band did. Current guitar player has a Flextone guitar amp which is acting funny, seems sensitive to mains power.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep. I'm happy with the Akai.
    For filters I still use my old AX-1B, effects are surprisingly good for such a cheap device.
    For the price of the FM4 you could get a Mu-Tron III and I'd really recommend it.
    thE FM4 makes an excellent mutron impression and a lot of other things too.

12. Undecided.

I heavily tried the FM4 and the DL4, but they just didn't seem to give me what I wanted. Good construction, but the delay when changing the sound and in some cases the sound itself just didn't seem up to the price tag.

13. I owned a POD Pro for guitar and liked it, but it just wasn't my kind of equipment (too complex, too many options). The sounds where great though.

Who did try the Distortion Modeler (DM4) on bass?

14. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Like some/dislike some.

The Pod Pro my brother got is highly usable for recording, but I don't think it should replace an actual amp. I think the Bass Pod Pro would be a helpful recording tool, but I don't know if I'd like it in a live setting. I tried out an FM4, and couldn't get the sounds I wanted out of it, but I'd like to spend more time with it at some point, just to see if I can make it work. I'm not crazy about their guitar amps, the sound doesn't do it for me.

So I'm willing to try, but I might not like it.

15. My family surprised me with a Bass Pod for Father's Day. (This is the benefit of having a teenaged guitar playing stepson who tags along when you go to Guitar Center!) So far, I like it. It seems well made, and will be a good D.I for me to use at church. I'll probably never use some of the effects, but I love some of the amp sounds, and the tube preamp setting. I'll put it through a good test over the next few weeks, in case I decide I need to take advantage of Guitar Center's 30 day return policy. But again, so far, so good.

16. off-topic: its weird that there's so many people in the states that are still goin' to churches. Even young people, while over here in belgium, churches are almost empty...

17. You're right, it's off topic. But, I think a lot of people have found that the "me" generation left them unfulfilled. Many churches have also realized that their services bored many people. Much of the "routine" has been eliminated from the service, new contemporary worship music has a message that touches many hearts, and pastors are realizing that their sermons need to relate to the pressures we face in everyday life. I'm proud to be a part of the resurgeance in worship.

18. my opinion is that I don't need an organisation to help me choose my life.

19. the DL4 is an incredibly useful tool. we've got three or four of them sitting around our rehearsal space.

we'll play something into one, loop it, and wait while someone figures out what to play against it.

we'll layer vocal patterns on it, so everyone will know how stuff is supposed to line up.

you can run a recording into it, cut the speed in half, and figure it out a hell of a lot easier.

many other nifty tricks that i can't remember before my second cup of coffee.

20. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    I'd have to agree about the dl4. It's loop sampler an awsome tool that can really open up a lot of possibilities for anyone willing to experiment. A great practice tool. I love it. A bit expensive, but not really when you consider that you get a top notch looper + 15 other delay effect pedals (I know, MODELS of 15 different effects pedals, but come on). Man, I forgot how much this thing rocks. I wanna go play with it right now.