General info needed !!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by danhorne, May 16, 2004.

1. I'm going to be building myself a bass this summer (well starting it this summer) and i need some general advice in acouple areas.

What kind of glue should i use to multi-laminate a body. And does any one have some advice on wood combinations? not sure what i want to use yet, probably going to be a two peice.

Whats the best way to do this, cut out the basic shapes of the two then glue. Or should i glue the two peices together then cut out the shape?

also any trouble shooting areas i should look out for?

2. Glue: Titebond I Wood glue.

You'll want to glue the laminates togther, then bandsaw the rough shape. Assuming you're doing a bolt on

As far as trouble shooting areas to look out for:
    Just get as much info as possible before you do anything. Search the forum and you're sure to find advice on most anything, if not ask :)

Good luck!
  3. i personally usually cut the shape from the middle body core wood first. then i cut the top and back laminates close to the shape and glue them onto the body core (1 at a time). then i use template router bits to trim them to the same shape as the core.
    you want to make sure that all of the edges are firmly clamped so that you don't have any gaps.
  4. If you want to avoid extra work or make sure that when you start on the good wood, you won't have shaping mistakes, I would begin making templates now. Refine the shape on the template (¾" MDF), then when you set to the actual blank, you will be right on for the shape and that will require less time shaping and eliminate the possibility of a mistake that has to be integrated into the design. Pay special attention to the neck pocket.
  5. i'm not to worried about the laminate, just have to make sure its lined up and pressed down nice with no gaps. i'll make sure i have some practice runs on crappy wood first

Before even starting, the neck pocket has been on my mind alot.

for the wood i was thinking mahogany body with some kind of maple top. it will be a fretless, do these woods sound like a good idea together? and i've seen on alot of basses that between body laminates (streamer jazzman for example) there is a black line between them, how is this done? <---- seen here

6. a mahogany body with a figured maple top is a combo that has been used for a long time, it's a fine choice. just look at victor wooten's fodera(s).

to get that black line you just use a very thin layer of ebony...or wenge... or whichever other wood that you think would look nice. just sandwich it in between the mahogany and maple.