General Opinion Please...GKMB200 and 500..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Never tried one yet. They seem to get lots of mention in threads but not specifics.

Are they some kind of "goto" head? Legendary? One of the best out there?

Clue me in please.
    Thank You.

2. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Had a MB500 for year or two and loved it. It was reliable, lightweight and powerfull. Transparent sounding, reproduced mids (growl), just slightly scooped (little bass and treble cut made it flat).
    Has second master channel that has boost option (OD), never used it much.
    All important stuff are there, two speakon\classic outputs, nice di with pre\post eq, tuner out, effects out\in...
    It is good, allround modern amp, with OK price.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Have you ever played a GK amp?

Basically, they sound like a GK and are very light/small. The MB200 is one of the smallest amps available.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

MB200 owner here. Great small and loud amp. It just has a contour switch and I usually keep it in the scooped position. Pretty loud and I have been using it on my gig for the last year or so. My gigs are not super loud and I haven't had it past noon on the volume but mostly around 10-11 o'clock with the eq mostly flat.

5. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together

Nov 20, 2013
    North Cackalacky
    +1

I also have the MB200, and it's a terrific practice amp with both headphone out and Aux in if you want to play to recorded music on headphones. That little sucker hits hard for its class, and is loud enough for practicing with a band at sensible levels.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't consider the MB200 a practice amp although it's features make it useful for practicing.

7. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together

Nov 20, 2013
    North Cackalacky
    No arguments. If the MB500 had aux in, I could use it as my practice amp. But that doesn't mean that's all it's capable of.

The MB200's ability to drive a cabinet (and especially a pair of cabinets) is one of the abilities that made me go for it instead of a mixer, headphone amp, or small combo.

8. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    The GK MB200 is my favorite small amp. I use it everywhere/anywhere.
    I also always take the MB200 even as a backup amp. It only weighs 2 lbs. and will probably be a staple for most gigging bass players.

I used the MB200 on my GK 412 cab.
    Pretty loud for being such a small portable amp.
    CiIEtqg.jpg

KB1UHJ and alaskaleftybass like this.
  9. Yes....amongst other things I have a GK MB112 II combo ( 1 x 12 200 watts combo). I love that amp. Love the tone.
    It'll take a GK powered extension cab....don't have that yet though.

Holy Moly.....in the above pic I see the MB200 is powering 4 12" speakers.....this amp must have some balls for 200 watts....

10. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I agree it gets loud! BTW is your GK 412 an 8 ohm or 4 ohm cab? IIRC the MB200 needs 4 ohms to do 200 watts...

To the OP, I also highly recommend with the rest of the TB'ers-- pick one up, it's a little dynamite wonder. Hardly larger than a foot pedal, it takes up such little space but can really get loud with the right cab... :thumbsup:

Please forgive the short hijack, but I found from another TB'er's suggestion for what might be an excellent mini rig of doom-- a GK MB200 or better yet the MB500 with a Mike Arnopol M109. Mini high powered cab that looks very similar to the old 1970's Acoustic 360 folded horn cabs.
    MA-109.jpg
    Has anyone here on TB tried this configuration?

Thanks, back to your regular broadcast...... :bag:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    samson3382 likes this.
  11. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I used one of the many 400RB's that I had for several years, or else an 800RB for the couple times I thought I needed more, or wanted to use the 2nd 100 watt amp to power a monitor for the drummer ... the 400RB is not big by any means, but I made the move to downsize everything a couple years ago, and picked up an MB200 ... the last year and a half I have parked the 400RB (sold the 800RB), and used the MB200 for everything ... I had one occassion last summer that I felt I needed just a bit more from it, so picked up a MB500 to have along with the 200 ... I liked the mute and tuner out on the 500, but overall was happiest when using the MB200 ... I eventually sold the MB500 as well, and picked up a second MB200 ... the majority of things I do, one of the 200's is plenty, although I have ran both heads ... lately it is getting to be more frequent that my amp is just a stage monitor as the direct out on the 200 works quite well to FOH...

Danpirvine likes this.
  12. Love my MB200. Purchased a Fender Rumble 2x8 (8 ohm 250 watts) cab and used it with the MB200 Friday night, unmiked at a local club, drummer, lead guitar and acoustic/electric rhythm guitar. Really kicks, everything on the amp at 12 o'clock with the contour switch engaged. Use it at home into an Eden EX110 4 ohm and rehearsals with an older GK 115 8 ohm.

13. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    I have a Mb800f. But this summer I tried out their entire line of amps trying to decide. You'll be happy tone wise with either selection. I'd always choose the most headroom possible, and look for used to make up the difference.

14. MB-200, had four if them. Down to three....

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  15. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I bought an MB200 used here on talkbass. I use it with upright for backup/practice/small gigs. Only slightly bigger than many DI boxes, with far more capabilities. I run it with a single Baer ML112.

16. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I might be the only person on TB that feels this way, but I really don't like any of GK's MB line. They sound loud but lifeless and artificial to me. I like the RB line, both old and new.

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    GK exploded on the scene in the early eighties with the 800RB (still made) and 400RB (now in it's fourth generation) amp heads although the company had been around since the late sixties. They were small, light, sounded good and were bulletproof. Before the RB amps, the idea that you could have a rackmountable bass amp that only weighed 20 pounds was unthinkable*.

In the 1980s touring acts all over the world were using stacks of Hartke cabs driven by GK heads (because GK hadn't gotten into cabs seriously and Hartke had yet to make amps). It's still an iconic sound.

The jury will be out on MB reliability until they have been punished on the road for 20 years like the RB amps but GK is still an industry standard for bass amplification.

* the exception of course being the handmade Walter Woods amps which since the 1970s were even smaller and lighter, but rarely seen outside of the jazz world

18. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Brian,

I just checked the website. No 800 RB there. Think it was replaced with the 700 RB.

19. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    800rb was discontinued some time ago.
    Nothing fills its space.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021