General Pre-amp/PUP question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Shellac, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    I have plans to replace the pick-ups in my BTB405 with active ones (EMG, maybe) soon, and any help is greatly appreciated.

First though, I must admit I have no knowledge about the inner workings of the electronics in my bass. With that said, will my 18v active EQ work with active pups? Also, will this boost output and will I have to rewire my nobs and such?

Is it also possible to use two replacement pups intended for two totally different tone/styles of music, say one for Jazz and the other more toward distort?

Also can anyone recommend a few replacements. I'm trying to play experimetal stuff, but closest to Rock, Punk, Metal and I'd like to play some Jazz also later on. For reference I like the sound of Tool, Deftones, Sublime, Shellac, Big Black, Primus, etc, though I'm not trying to emulate their sounds.

Thanks. =)
  2. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    Also, my current amp is an Ampeg BA-15, so will I have to change my input from the passive in to the hot input, because of the all new active electronics?
  3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The BTB 405 has active electronics. The pickups may also be active. Does it currently use 18v?

If you plan to go EMG, you'll need to rout the pickup cavities out a bit. After that, it would be smooth sailing (assuming you go the whole hog with PUs and Preamp).

As for 2 different pickups for diff tone, you have options. Lakland for example uses a MM style humbucker and a J to even it out and it has a coil split function. It that case, you have a quick select between thinner jazz tones, thicker MM tones and a mix of just about anything else.
    With EMG, the same sort of results could be achieved with their TW pickup and a J pickup. They both have the same housing size and look the same. If you wanted more beef on the J pickup, you could get the P or the DC and up the beefiness.