1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

general question about average playing volume.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r05c03, May 4, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Okay, a posit. If one has a rig that will cover their needs if they run it at near max volume will they be saving wear ad tear their equipment by expanding their rig i.e. adding a cabinet or combo, or head + cabinet there by allowing them to play at lower amp/cab settings?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you can add a cab I'd try that first. generally from my experience its a balance between MINIMUM wattage power and minimum speakers for your loudest situation. sometimes thats hard to determine if you've not had alot of LOUD situations where you knew you had enough power. ok, maybe I'm not making sense...

I play at my church where the stage volume is about 105 dBc (imagine 200 5th graders shouting and singing and kind-of being heard on stage) I found I stand just about two feet from my cabs (two aguilar gs112s) I had borrowed a Eden Wt300. This amp/speaker combo was BARELY, BARELY loud enough for this "CHURCH" situation.

what am I saying? I guess, no, its not good to run near max most of the time. more speakers (if your amp will handle a lower "load") will help ease the speaker stress, but your amp will be working harder with a lower load, so, more watts and more speakers would be IDEAL.

it does NOT look like you can add a speaker alone. you can use the "line out" to feed another combo or amp if you like.

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    IMO, yes. When I went head shopping last year I knew that for any playing situation I was likely to find myself in I wouldn't "need" (in the being heard and having some headroom sense) any more than 400-500 watts combined with the 210/115 cab setup I had, or the 2x112 stack I'm moving toward. I ended up getting a head that produces 800 watts at 4 Ohms, and I feel confident in the longevity of my gear because even when we're all blasting away I never need to turn the master on my amp past 11:00.

If you're looking for a specific solution regarding your BA115, if it doesn't have a speaker out, the line out into a power amp/head and the cab of your choice is your best option (Tech 21 Power Engine??). Or, you could use the combo for practice/small gigs and start putting together a "gig rig".

4. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    My basic rule is ... the master volume at 12 0 clock "IS" full volume ... if you need more volume than what that will do then you need more amp or speaker of both.

That is given the eq setting I use (not flat) and allowing for headroom.

"...and I have nearly 11,000 fewer posts than Munji."

Yes but Munji lives on a bombing range, so you may catch up?

5. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I was basically thinking about adding a Peavey Mark IV head and a 2x10 or 4x10 to the overall sound and running them both either via an ayb box or biamping via the Peavey head.

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I fell the same. i dont want to push my amp too hard as my cab is rated much louder than the head but i feel if i go above 12 -1 0'clock on the master too often then its not loud enough for my gigs. not that i could do anything about it as im skint but this was one of the reasons i got rid of my ABM 300EVOII for a MB SA450. i was running the ABM just past 1 0'clock on most of my gigs and it was clipping very slightly. this was at 4 ohms so max would have been 325watts. the SA450 can get to 500watts and i find now i only go to 1 0'clock on a big stage if im standing quite a distance from it. It may not be much louder but its cleaner and seems to cut through better

7. Remember, bass frequencies tend to swell and get much, much louder the further you are from the speaker cab. For instance, playing through a 300 watt, single 15 combo amp on stage in a large church, I can barely hear myself 3 feet from the amp. 10 feet away the amp sounds killer, but out in the room the bass sound is overpowering everything else - and it sounds like mud. Try less stage volume, run a line out to the pa and let the sound guy put your bass in the house system.

8. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Yeah right. Like that happens. :D