general question on fretboard/body/pickguard color combos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Feb 10, 2006.

1. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I've spent some time thinking about how to "personalize" my new Lakland Joe Osborn. It's a maple fretboard with 3 tone sunburst body. I've been scouring the web for pics of this color combo with different pickguards, and I've noticed what appears to be a few common trends or themes that the manufacturers usually follow.

- light body colors (white, natural, etc) usually have dark color pickguards, regardless of the fretboard

- dark body colors with solid finishes (black, red, blue) usually have llight color pickguards

- sunburst finishes most often have a pickguard that is the same color "family" as the fretboard. Sunburst with maple fretboards almost always have a white or mint pickguard. Sunburst with rosewood fretboards often have tort or black pickguards. I've seen a few examples of burst/rosewood that have light color pickguards, but almost every single burst/maple bass I've found has a white or mint pickguard on it.

Is this one of those common rules of thumb, or am I just off in the weeds? I was considering changing the mint pickguard on my bass out for a tort guard, then installing the chrome pickup cover, but I'm thinking about sticking with the mint now to avoid too much contrast between the tort guard and maple fingerboard.

2. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I used to own this Fender. I know few better looking combos.

3. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    bino, you may have just helped sway me toward ordering that tort pickguard. I was only able to find 2 pics of Sadowsky's with burst/maple/tort color combos, versus 10's ot them in burst/maple/mint

Anyone out there with an affiliation to a bass builder who can comment on the general color themes?