Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

General question on tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was just wondering, how come, on a 7 string bass it goes BEADGCF but on a guitar its EADGBE, how come we use CF instead of BE, shouldnt the tuning be the same? Or does it have to do with the difference in thickness of strings..or..something.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is tradition, more than anything else.

Guitarists tune the next highest string a half step flat, instead of using a fourth, like the other strings, to make chord voicings easier.

Most bassists are used to having all of the strings in fourths. When you move up to an instrument with more than 6 strings, it is easier to use the fourths tuning, because all of your patterns are based on that tuning.

Some bassists do use the guitar type tuning to make chord voicings easier. And some former guitar playing bassists use that tuning, because that is what they are used to from play guitar.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When i check the tuning on my acoustic guitar (i dont use it much) the B string always seems a half step flat compared to the G. Is this the reason?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I understand you correctly, yes. The first 4 strings are tune in fourths. EADG. The fifth string is tuned a major third above G, or a half step below a fourth, however you want to look at it. So, in relation to the other strings, it would seem to be a half step flat. Which is proper for traditional guitar tuning.