1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

General Questions

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by tony grey, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Hello guys just so you know 'm really proud to be a part of the Talk Bass Ask A Pro Section and I'm not just here to promote myself. I'm primarily here to help.
    So Any questions, advise, support, debates, opinions are all welcome and encouraged here.
    Thanks a lot

2. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Ok so I have a volume pedal question. Right now I use an EB VP Jr 250K at the end of my signal chain, I play a passive gibson EB bass. But I have heard that it may be better to use the 25K volume pedal instead if its at the end of the chain. The pedal right before my Volume pedal is a Seymour Duncan SHape SHifter. Would I benefit at all from switching my volume pedal from the 250K version to the 25K version?

3. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    Hello thanks...
    So I use the 250k one at the end of my effects chain.
    I don't notice any issues at all. I sometimes use a lot of effects and sometimes hardly any. I use live and in studio sessions and have never had a complaint about my signal.

However I too have heard the 25k one is better at taking a lot effects at the end of a chain. Maybe I'll grab one one day to see but I have never felt the need to change my set up as I like my sound :)
    Let me know if you do switch and notice any difference.
    Thanks.

4. leigh22

leigh22

Oct 25, 2010
    Hey Tony!

I don't want to clog up your section here with gear questions, so I figured i'd tag it on here.

What do you think of the new Aguilar pickups you had dropped in your Monarch 6? I figure you wouldn't have stuck with the change if you weren't digging them. I saw Felix Pastorius also just made the change over to them, and he is really impressed.

I was wondering if you changed the preamp as well, or if you are still using a pope preamp in that bass.

I have one bass that I still am really happy with the feel of, it feels very "at home" when I am playing it, but any sort of useable tone seems to be lost in the electronics.

Any way,

Hope all is well!

5. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    Hello how are you?
    So thanks for the question.
    I love the Aguilar Pickups a lot they are super clean and warm.
    I have the Pope PreAmp inside but I'm definitely thinking about at least trying the combination of the Aguilar Pre Amp to go with the pickups.

I have used the Aguilar Pre Amp in my Yamaha TRB and had some great results. They really calmed the Signature Yamaha sound down. But the pickups were still Yamaha and are VERY active and difficult to control the dynamics.

I'll give it a go and let you know :)

6. leigh22

leigh22

Oct 25, 2010
    Cool!

I am doing pretty well, Playing a lot these days, the fusion Jazz band I play with is heading back in to the studio end of january by the sounds of it. Should be fun!

Yeah, Mike Pope definitely knows his stuff. Great versatile preamps... It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after testing it out!

Are you playing your Monarch 6 most of the time these days? I know you developed the 4 Tony Grey 4 String with Fodera mostly for the bass academy. But I assume you'd groove around on it with some other projects from time to time. Sometimes there is nothing quite like a 4 string for some reason.

Thanks!

7. Fattywithadent

Fattywithadent

Dec 21, 2013
    Hey Tony I was going to but myself a new bass guitar and an ibanez SR250 caught my eye and I was wondering if it was worth buying it is 300 dollars(my price range and on sale from 400)

8. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    Hi there. Yes I use the 4 string a lot for gigs and studio work. I love it so much. It makes me play and think in a completely different way.

9. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    Hi. I'm not really an expert of such things but I do know that Ibanez are great and great value for money.
    My only advise to you is put it in your hands. Feel it out. It's so important to have a connection with your instrument. That gonna be your baby :)

10. Fattywithadent

Fattywithadent

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks and I was also wondering if you had any tips for writing bass licks and verses any advise will be great! Thanks!

11. Andyroo721

Andyroo721

Apr 25, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Tony,
    You may address this within the confines of the bass academy but, out of my own curiosity, when you take on a musical endeavor and begin thinking about what to play, how much of your approach is natural pocket/instinctual and how much is active thought with respect to a theoretical approach and is it situational?

12. Fattywithadent

Fattywithadent

Dec 21, 2013
    Most of what I try to write is out of pocket but when that frustrated me I try to use more of what I have been taught about theory and how it should come together

13. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    I don't really work on writing bass licks, I just try to learn colors. For example learning scales, Chord Tones and Tensions against related chords.
    When I practice this way I learn how to train my ears so I can hopefully play what I hear. Also learning Vertical Pentatonics all over your instrument really help for licks etc

14. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    When I practice I always keep it really focused. I like to really discipline myself and try to master whatever I'm working on. When I play and write I forget about everything I work on. I just want everything to be natural and as much me and my influences as possible. When I really structure my practice schedule I tend to be able to absorb things a lot quicker so they become a part of my instinctive playing. Hope this helps

15. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    You should never in my opinion make your compositions academical. What you learn and practice should be to heighten your musical awareness and train your ears. When you master fundamentals you can really start to use simple ideas in a very musical way. My goal really is to create lessons for myself and others to really practice creatively.
    So everything you do is musical. The only difference between practice, writing or just improvising is the focus changes.

16. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Got another question for ya. I recently purchased a Gibson EB bass. I run it through a BBE 383 Pre-amp into a BBE Sonic Maximizer into my Hartke LH1000. When I play with a pick it sounds great and crisp especially with my OD and VT bass pedals on. Yet when I play with my fingers it gets real muddy and kinda farty sounding. Could this be the strings or something to do with the pickups on my Gibson EB bass? I never noticed this happening through my old Schecter.

Thoughts?

17. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    Probably strings or the way you are attacking the strings and where you are striking them

18. Strokerbass

Strokerbass

Aug 7, 2013
    Noob question no. 1
    After almost 20 years as a lead guitar player I took a bass gig last April. The strangest thing has happened in the 10 months. I fell head over hills in love with 4 strings but my knowledge of effects is sorely lacking on bass. I recently bought an Acoustic B200h head along with a B410 and a B115. I've been struggling this whole time trying to get that really heavy bottom end and failing miserably. The other night I tried playing thru an old guitar multi effects pedal that I used to get some fat guitar tones out of. I just used the reverb in the pedal and then added some compression and tada!!!,
    Huge bottom end. I have read posts that go both ways on compressed bass signal. The main thing that I need to know is this, if I build my tone around the compression will I regret it later? Is there a more simplistic approach to getting bottom you can "feel"? Last but not least, this thing is driving my amp pretty hard at about 9 o'clock on the volume nob, will it damage my speakers even though there seems to be 0 distortion or speaker farts of any kind I'm pretty sure that it's plenty loud at that level to be good in about every inside venue that my band plays.It shakes the floor and windows on the bottom floor of my house and may even be too much.
    Thanks in advance,
    Cxxxx

19. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    Hi there I'm pretty sure you should be going through all that to get a low end out of your bass. Have you looked into Aguilar Amps and heads. They are really light and small and give such a huge sound. I never looked back after switching over to them. Also look into pickups too...
    Thanks. Good luck and all the best. Tony

20. RGFan

RGFan

Feb 28, 2014
    Hi Tony,
    I'm not a bass player, but there is a bass player I care about and would like to learn more about bass playing in general so I can talk intelligently with him about it. He just bought his first 5-string for example and while (I think?) the 5th string is the B string (yes?) and I know it'll give him more of a lower range, that's all I know about the difference between 4 & 5 string basses. I'd also like to learn about things like pickups & what they do, etc. (for starters) Can you direct me as far as where I can go to learn all this stuff?
    Thank you very much for any help you can give me,
    Lauren