General Questions

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by mattwells, Mar 24, 2003.

1. mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    I am going to begin making the transition from EB to DB in the next few months (hopefully) and have some questions.

1) My only friend to have made this switch cheated on it--he bought a Zeta electric upright that has a 34" scale--its basically a fretless EB on a stick. I do not want that--I want the 41" thud, but I am going to buy an electric upright (logistical reasons) and am looking for suggestions.

2) Along the same lines as #1, should I buy the bass prior to taking lessons or after a few? There is no way I am going to quit playing after a few lessons, so I think the investment would be wise, but I am open to other opinions.

3) Does anyone know of any good, cheap teachers in Athens, GA? I am on the "starving college student" budget and working for the university does not pay to well (I don't think student jobs ever do) so I need someone who is pretty inexpensive, but I also want a quality teacher. Suggestions? (I know there have to be some Georgia people somewhere on this board).

Any other comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN

Hang in there, your questions will probably be answered sometime soon.

First, there are probably alot of players reading your point #1 and tilting their heads like a dog hearing a high pitched siren. I can only speak for myself, but I am sure that alot will agree, if you can buy and store and transport an acoustic bass, do it. The sound and the feel is unique, and cannot be duplicated by an EUB.

Secondly, Ed Fuqua (frequent poster extraordinaire) hails, I believe from them there sections of Georgia, and hopefully can provide you with some contacts. You might want to try to send an e-mail to him directly via this board.
  3. I agree with Tim, an EUB is not a replacement for a Real Bass. I'm guessing you are in a dorm room and that is why you are thinking about an EUB (because price doesn't jive, you can get a good ply for less than most EUBs). If you must, check out the Eminenence bass at (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's website.

However, have you checked with your school's music department? They might be able to provide an instrument, a place to store said instrument and a teacher. I basically started when I was in college and didn't buy an instrument until I graduated.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would say go for it!! I bought an NS CR5 EUB with 42" scale, about a year and have loved it - can't believe the things I'm playing on it - my whole approach has changed!

I have been using it a lot for Jazz jams and have had loads of compliments about how good it sounds - even from people who said that DB was the only thing for Jazz and complained about BG being used in Jazz before, at the same sessions!

I enjoy playing it so much I hardly ever practice with my BG now and only use it for gigs - I just like playing the EUB so much.

Everybody tried to put me off before, but I think it has been very valuable as well as enjoyable experience and has got me thinking more like a DB player, so that when I am able to take up DB it won't be such a big transition.

I have talked to local DBers who have come over from BG and they said that it took at least 6 months of solid Simandl before they could play anything worth hearing on DB - but I was using my EUB for a gig a few weeks after I bought it!! ;)

I think you are wise to wait until you find a teacher - a good teacher might be able to help you decide and sort out what instrument to get - I think it would be a bit of a nightmare if the teacher turned out to be someone who hated EUBs - like the majority round here - and you had already bought one!! ;)