General rack case stuff

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mdlewis, Jan 2, 2005.

1. mdlewis

mdlewis Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Just thought I'd ask this here as the people on this forum seem quite knowledgeable -

I'm interested in mounting a GK 400 RBIV in a 2U rack (Its a 2U device). Does anyone have any experience with this? My concern is with the cooling fan ducting on the top of the amplifier - do all 2U enclosures allow enough ventilation space for the fan to operate correctly?

GK recommends at leat 1/2 inch clearance. I've never owned a rack-mounted amplifier before, prefering older style amps until recently and have no idea what kinds of clearance the commercial rack cases provide, or if this differs between manufacturers.
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    An SKB case will provide that much top clearance. It's still a bad idea- eventually you will want to add at least another unit, and you'll have to buy another rack case. Start out with a 4RU case and save some money down the road.

But yes, a 2RU SKB will work.
  3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    True, I've got a 1001RB-II in a 2-space shallow SKB and it does fine. Trying to keep weight down.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    but if you're sure you'll be happy with just the head, 2 space racks are way cool and small. Mine fit in between the back and front seats in the "legroom" area. cabs on back seat. bass on cabs. :D
  5. mdlewis

mdlewis Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Thanks for the useful info - it looks like a 2U SKB rack case should work OK. I like thin and small these days.

When I was younger I used to cart around a Cerwin-Vega rear firing 18in speaker in a Klipsch configuration fiberglass enclosure with a front facing 12 in, along with a 2x15 in conventional enclosure. Thankfully these cabs are long gone. It had the benefit of curing me of ever wanting large enclosures of any type ever again, even for amplifiers.