general rant on "I can play that!"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by azureblue, Jun 10, 2021.

1. I thought I had finally gotten too old to have to put up with "I can do that - you just sit around and play your bass.". I was at home, playing a simple old R&B bass part (Joe Tex - Who's Makin' Love), when this guy had to open his mouth.. So I handed the (non musician) guy my bass and said, "here - you play the part, then." I was a bit cranky from lack of coffee, anyway. He tried to beg out but I told him, "no - you think it's easy, we're going to sit here until you can play that part." I showed him how to play it then handed the bass back to him. Now he MAY have gotten out easy, if his wife wasn't there, too, and she was happy to see him taken down a notch, so she chimed in and said, " yeah, I want to see you play it." He finally gave up after about 15 minutes, but then said, "But I could do it if I practiced more" (Idiot) so I handed him my cheap bass and told him to go practice.. This morning he brought my bass back and said, "You make it look so easy." Gawd save me from the idiots.... Rant over.....

2. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    A valuable life lesson :thumbsup:

C Stone likes this.
  3. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    Good. That was a rude thing of him to say. I admire your ability to stand your ground and put him in his place!

4. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    tenor.gif

lancimouspitt likes this.
  5. That is an awful lot of work to justify your existence to someone who doesn’t even matter. This would be my version:

idiot: “ I can do that“
    Me: “good” *Continue living life

6. When faced with cranks, I always thought 'IF they were any good, THEY'd be up here instead of ME'. They never were . . . . .

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021