general selling question... shipping basses

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Aenema, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    im going to sell my bass soon and will have to ship it. it has a deluxe case. now should i put the case in a box with styrofoam or would the hard case be ok to ship by itself?
  2. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I usually go to a music store and ask for a bass shipping box. Most places have them sitting around and have no problem giving them away. You should box the hardshell, it will get pretty skinned up if you don't. Boxing the hardshell will discourage any tampering as well.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Put the case in a box with lots and lots of packing to secure it. Make sure that the bass doesn't move freely inside the case, so you may want to pack inside that too. :cool:
  4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Agreed. NEVER EVER EVER ship a case without protection. The latches will get busted off, and the whole thing will PAY for the experience.

Also, be sure to detune approximately 1/2 step to take some of the tension off the neck AND slide a piece or two of that thin styrofoam packaging material between the strings and the neck. That helps keep the strings from damaging the frets in a drop.
  5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Don't forget to insure it for the cost of a new replacement. UPS and FedEx will treat it a lot more gently that way and if they mess it up, you're covered. Insurance is too cheap to not use.
  6. Juan Ortiz Jr.

Juan Ortiz Jr.

Jul 23, 2004
    All the above information is great. Put something between the strings and the pups. You can put the case in a thin plastic bag, and then the packing material you use won't get on the case. I ship instruments all over the States and i pack the instruments very tight so there is no movement inside the box.
    I would also make sure to ship no more than two days, to insure that the package is not handled much. I have been very lucky with this method, so i'mm passing this information on.

Juan :bassist:
  7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Taping strips of styrofoam around the ends of the case just past the latches and then boxing the case will form a cradle and really help the bass get there in one piece. It's cheap and easy, do it. One piece of hard insulation styrofoam from a building supply place works fine.
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I've read accounts of people just shipping the bass in the case - best case scenario is case gets trashed and buyer gets real !@#$.

I typically drop strings to half tension (since there's ongoing debate about shipping them completely detuned or in tune) and use the small bubble wrap a couple layers thick around the entire bass inside the case.

Add padding - couple layers of cardboard, newspaper (whatever) at both ends of the box to cushion blows from sliding/dropping with sudden stops. Fill in the sides around the case as needed with something firm - peanuts, cardboard (whatever depending on space). The case inside the box should have no slop and ideally you should not be able to push the box in easily (or it will just puncture and tear).

Tape the entire length of all outside corners of the box and entire surface of both ends.

During winter months (extreme cold temperatures) inform the buyer the case should be left in the box for 12 hours in the house before removing and the bass 12 hours in the case before removing to give it time to acclimate from subzero temperatures to room temperature. They probably won't do it but I always tell them and I do it receiving one.