1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

general speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by q1014, Jan 27, 2008.

1. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    i want to get a nemesis na650 which handles 650w at 2 ohms heres my question the cabs i want to get (avatar 212 handles 500w and an avatar 410 handles 1000w) theyre both rated at 4 ohms which brings me down to two ohms but will i have a problem because of the 212 only handling 500w like not getting the full power of my amp or blowing the 212? any feed back is appreciated

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    You will not have a problem at all, but I would suggest pairing the 212 w/ a 210 instead of the 410. a 212 w/ a 410 would be way overkill in most situations. The 212 and 210 go very well together and I see no real advantage of pairing a 212 w/ a 410, unless you really want to wear out your back and be so loud onstage that you cant hear the rest of your bandmates. Most players could really benefit by using the DI to the PA for added volume and having the whole band play w/ less stage volume. Vocals and the whole band will sound better to the crowd, by using less stage volume. You can see by my sig what I have , but at most indoor gigs, I only use my 210. Both cabs are only used for huge indoor gigs or outdoor gigs. At a few indoor (200-300 ppl) gigs I used both cabs and noticed the vocals tended to be flat. That happens when a singer cant hear themselves in the monitors. I think alot of bassists get pre-occupied w/ trying to get the ohm load maxed and huge speker configurations, only to later use 1/2 of their equipment.

3. True!
    But it sounds SO good!!! :bassist::hyper::D

4. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    so with a 210 and 212 (4ohm a piece) both rated at 500w handling will i be able to get the full 650w at 2 ohms

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    In theory, yes, but what you need to understand is, headroom. Nobody runs their amp at full tilt. In a really loud setting you might run it up to 500 watts output (250) to each cab, which wont hurt them a bit. A bass player may say , "my amp does 3000 wattts @ 2 ohms, but he or she will never run it that hard. Most amps start distorting badly when you run them too hard, which is Ok for guitar players, but bass, naa. See if you have 650 watts and you run it to 400-500 watts, you can probably run pretty clean w / good EQ'ing. Thats "headroom" sounding good and strong at 400-500 watts, but not having to run it to 650 watts to get what you need. Most players will tell you anywhere from 300-500 watts is more than enough for gigging. Anymore than that and you should run a DI to the PA.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021