1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

generations and their genres of teenage angst

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jezz8me, Mar 18, 2008.

1. I have noticed how the popular genre among youths tends to be centered around teenage angst/ emotion and each generation has had a different genre.

Right now gen Y has emo and the modern "punk" music.
    Gen X had grunge. (hence why they beat gen y because it is better IMO, oh and i am gen y :p)

Gen whatever the hell it was had punk ( obviously different because more people wanted to break out of the conservative and militaristic cultures so it was more anarchistic and political instead of self )

discuss.... and what do you think is the best genre for generation

p.s

i am aware i probably have some inaccurate information because i have no exact sources just prior knowlage

2. jezz8me,

In a few short lines (I don't know how to do that!) you wrote the abstract for a very compelling paper or book about the social-psychology of "poor me" (and beyond) musical genres. Don't knock what you may or may not know historically: I believe that you have the gist of it nailed. The rest you can find online.

Punk? It was the kick in the teeth that corporate rock needed. Sadly, rock is still corporate, but the suits got scared and that was a good thing. Rock has had its ups and downs. When I heard the Sex Pistols when I was in middle school, I remember my fellow pre-pubescent rockers griping: "Look; they can't even play their instruments." That got me mad, and I said something to the effect of, "Even if they knew how to play they'd play like this on purpose b/c they are sick and tired of the narcissistic (self-adoring) rockers who can play, sing, etc. but are just sleazoids beyond belief."

I found my niche in the post-punk Alt-rock world: We did care about learning to play, but it was NOT about money, and indeed, the TRUE Alt rock bands didn't see much of it. Stop it: I didn't say mine was a "true" alt rock band; maybe we didn't make that much money b/c we were mediocre. I don't care. We still all had that punk vibe of $#%! all of you (men, women, and children) and we meant it. So it was angry, rather than weepy self-pity driven music.

Choose your musical poison, I guess, eh?:bassist:

3. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I think that there is no reason to care about this. Play the music you like for whatever reason you like it.

Except country. Don't play that.

4. But Joey3133,

Obviously you care enough to say not to play "country," whatever that is: What plays on the AOR "country" radio used to be called "soft rock," which I hated too. If you ever hung out with a talented bluegrass fiddler in Southern Appalachia and saw what the guy or gal could do, you'd do what I did after you went back home: Care and immediately woodshed like a banshee, whatever a banshee is. This is regardless of whether you like/d or deeply dislike/d that genre. Music played well and with obvious passion is worth caring about, b/c there is way more that is none of the above.

If someone cares, then there's a reason for them to care. You are free not to, obviously. Clearly two people found the topic interesting enough and seem to care. Care to play bass? :bassist:

5. Actually I'm considered part of Gen X and I was part of the 90s punk movement. Like a lot of high school kids in that era, Green Day and NOFX got me into punk. I just happened to stay in the scene and go beyond the casual listener. I was never really into grunge, though I liked grunge bands. Grunge wasn't much of a social movement so had no staying power.

You're must mean the hardcore era or "Anti Reagan Youth." A lot of them were just lonely and depressed outcasts, like any other teenagers. I wouldn't call them any more militaristic and political than a lot of the later bands. Many of the bands who hate on George W. Bush now are much more vocal about it than the guys who hated Reagan.

Best at what? There isn't a best. Most of this stuff was just there whether we liked it or not.

And disenchanted/rebellious youth in music exists way past that. Jazz was considered evil music by parents in its heyday.

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I can't tell if he's talking about Discharge or Black Flag.

7. for me it was the early to mid 80s, the shambling bands, indie, C86 (smiths, wedding present, joy division) and goth (sisters of mercy mainly).

In fact I tried listening to Joy Division again last year and it just left me very depressed.

I'll lift a glass to introspection and unrequited love!

For the anti-establishment view we had billy bragg, the redskins, dead kennedys... but I was more into just being miserable.

I think emo seems a little too self-conscious, a little too wet to be properly angsty.

8. Joy Division was my favourite grief/depression-soundtrack to play in my old Skylark's after-market (!) auto-reverse tape-deck fresh after breaking up with a girlfriend (when it was her initiative). Yep, pop that tape in and drive for hours along the I-95 corridor, dropping in on happy friends to spread the grief. Otherwise, it was the Red Hot Chili Peppers pretty much always. Thank goodness for the Freaky Styley Uplift or I would've long been dead. And thus an angst-infested funkster was whelped. Yeah, it turned me into a newt, but it got better.

Oh, Mr. Bragg belted out the social critique with conviction. I was impressed. And the Smiths not only could play but also could depress so well: To die by your side.... To think that this led into one of the happier lines in their discography.

Some of this music was literally dangerous for clinically depressed people. If only I knew enough to warn them back then. Who knows how many people Joy Division, the Smiths et al. "killed?" *shudder* Man were they good, though.

Fantastic angst-ridden days, long gone but never forgotten.

9. 60's music here.

Joplin. Hendrix. Doors. Iron Butterfly.

And for those really raging against the machine, The Fugs and The Mothers of Invention.

10. Wow: Joplin, Hendrix, and Morrison, three meteors... I mean, they kissed the sky @ 27-28, right? Janis' voice, Jimi's guitar, and Morrison's dark poetry, well, you just can't find anything like that anywhere. We never will find anybody the likes of them. That was one heck of a decade. This is the end...

11. i think this thread is more startinting to come to what i intended

people connecting a genre of youth emotion withe a generation.

I was never aware that jazz was considered rebellious in that sense but that makes it so much more cool.

And joy division guy i agree tht stuff was great late 70's early 80's post punk is probably my favorite angsty genre

and yea emo is way to self conscious and whiny IMO. that is why i am selective with it

12. Oh, yeah, oh yeah, connecting the musical dots is what this is all about, homes.

Rock n' Roll is influenced by many pre-rock musical genres. Oh yeah, there was music before rock n' roll, just like there were 45s before LPs before CDs before mp3s (blech)... Dig?

Now that I live and work along the Mississippi, I am right on the Blues Corridor. So I took a 6-hr drive south, found Memphis to be a bit too touristy for me, and drove just across the border, from TN to MS. I have always dug the blues, all kinds of blues. But the American form that overspread the world started in the Mississippi Delta, still one of the most poverty-stricken regions in the "Western World."

I talked to some cats @ Juke-Joints in Clarksdale, Cleveland, Greenwood, Indianola, Greenville, Yazoo City, and so on. Wow, was I in absolute heaven, talking to these REAL blues musicians in the fertile Delta soil that sprung this awesome crop. When I heard them play, I had this "aha" experience along with my obvious musical ecstasy.

Anyhow, every single one of the players, regardless of age and whether or not they were related to Robert Johnson, BB, Etta James, Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf (and forgive me but the list is just too long for here), told me that what I had read was true: Even early, acoustic Delta Blues (think Robert Johnson) was feared by the elders as the Devil's Music. Not surprising that we have that "sold his soul to the devil" legend about Rbt. Johnson, then. Understandable that the transitional giants of the art, who took the blues to Saint Louis and Chicago and electrified it (Mercy!), were not only seen as dangerous men and women, but also gladly fed the myth. I dare you to listen to Howlin' Wolf's Moanin' @ Midnight without feeling spooked!

Yep, each generation and its rebellious music. That should be required reading for anyone getting into this dangerous line of artistic expression (yeah: it still is). Hellhounds are still on our trails, so y'all'd best "look out," as Jimi exclaims before he launches into Foxey Lady's bone-crunching solo.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's kind of ironic - as on the first singles they released, the Sex Pistols used Chris Spedding - who was a well-known British session guitarist and a very good player!

Live, they sounded awful - but then at the beginning they played very few gigs and relied on "shocking" interviews rather than music!

While real bands like the Damned,Clash, Banshees,Stranglers etc. actually toured and excited audiences!

And as for "Corporate Rock" - how about the Pistols firing their bass player, who had written all the songs - so they could replace him with a person who couldn't play - but had the right image!!?? :meh:

14. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i think music in itself is rebellion. i can't really think of a single genre of music that hasn't sprung up from discontent. with the exception of pop, i guess, but that's more of a trend (whatever is popular at the time) than a genre.
    i'm sure beethoven was the punk of his day...hell, people thought hildegard von bingen was loopy at first...

15. That's pretty funny, since I used to always say that he was more punk than a lot of people in those "What is punk?" discussions I used to always get into on music forums. I'd also say Mozart, because he was all about simplifying the complicated precedence set by guys like Bach, like how punk was about taking rock back to its rawest form. :)

16. In the movie Amadeus Mozart was certainly portrayed as an outrageous youngster upsetting the musical order of the day. Since I'm not a musical historian, I have no clue whether this was an accurate take on the situation.

17. Yep, and all that bites the big-bass, but although the suits had a very firm grip on the Sex Pistols, the kids were alright (that would be the fans). They didn't know about the corporate games, while fans of arena-rock were pretty clued into it.

But yo, there's arena rock and there's ARENA rock. As a dude from south of the Mason-Dixon who hates the stereotypes I deal with whenever I'm up north (daggum, St. Louis is in Scandinavia for me), I dug Skynyrd because it was the manager-jerks from LA who put the Stars n' Bars as a stage backdrop to stir up the "Lost Cause" BS and attract some critters best buried in the sheets they wear. And I dug Skynyrd b/c they WERE originally poor boys, dirt-poor, from the scruffiest part of Jacksonville, FL. They were in it for the music. It's not their fault that they hit a nerve (and could play) and stopped being dirt poor. And to think that the only "outsider," King used to be w/LA's Strawberry Alarm Clock (that's the name, right?).

So I reckon my point is that big music is always going to be controlled by corporate money lovers. The thing that matters to me is what sentiments it stirs in its listeners. Punk riled a a whole generation up, and also produced some awful P-Bass players.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Punk riled a whole generation up - and I remember seing the Clash play with Reggae groups at Rock against Racism gigs and on rallies against the Thatcher government - they were the "real deal" - but the Pistols were all manufactured hype - like a boy band for the blank generation! :meh:

19. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I thought Generation X applied to people born in the 60s and 70s, which would make 70s and 80s music their teen angst music... Punk, metal, and "alternative" - what used to be called alternative in the 80s anyway, the Cure, REM, B-52s, the Smiths, Joy Division, etc.

It always irked me a little when I was in my mid twenties and all the 18 and 19 year olds were proudly calling themselves "Generation X" and calling their Top 40 pop music "alternative." Uhhh - ever hear of Billy Idol? *That* was an alternative!

20. well that is even more reason why gen x have it right :p

i connect with the cure a lot and joy division nearly as much.