1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

generations and their genres of teenage angst

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jezz8me, Mar 18, 2008.

1. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I went through a Joy Division phase, but can't stand them now. :)

The Cure also - I loved them in the mid to late 80s, but the love affair died by the time Disintegration was released. Many *good* memories though... a few girlfriends, road trips, drug-induced dancing (back when raves were new and therefore revolutionary)...

Also the B-52s (Planet Claire), Violent Femmes, and REM (Stand!).

Big Sisters of Mercy phase also. Still very much appreciate them, but they just don't make me as angry against the establishment as they used to. Probably because I'm now the establishment. :)

2. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    +1

The "Generation X" label was first used in the 70s, (and was the name of one of Idol's earlier bands) to describe the post hippie generation and has nothing to do with the self professed gen-Xers of the 90s. Hell, I'm 35 and I'm too young to be a gen-Xer, let alone some someone in their 20s!!

3. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I was kidding. Calm down.

And you used the word "care" far too much within that post.

It makes me wonder...are you a..........

carebear003.

...?!

4. I started listening to The Cure when I was 13, by the time I was in my early 20's I was listening to Joy Division non stop, also The Smiths, PIL, and the even more melancholic Slowdive and MBV.
    It's true they probably have killed of quite a few people but there was something really romantic about listening to that kinda music. I became ill with digestion problems a few years later to the point where I had to make important decisions and I had to force myself to stop listening to the music otherwise I don't think I would have made it through.

I still periodically listen a song or sound sample here and there and it's like going back into the past and reliving all those memories of my youth, it's all a bit strange.

I still listen to my mix-cd of The Sisters Of Mercy. It's weird that they ended up been the band that I continue to listen too. In fact the bass in Lucretia My Reflection is my favorite bassline.

5. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    A vote for Elvis Presley. Though he was before my day.

The Who for my generation. Kid of the '60s, teen in the 70s.
    The "blue & brown" generation referred to in The Clash's "Clampdown".

6. They're all media buzz words anyway. The term gained a lot more momentum and popularity during the 90s despite its origins, like the whole emo thing today. Despite being born in 1979 people still consider me Generation X. Reality Bites is sometimes called the penultimate Generation X movie. I get associated with it whether I like it or not.

7. (Think Spinal Tap, but a tad brighter)

This is my philosophy: I totally agree with the Infernal Affair post stating that those gen. labels are just media buzz-words.

Here's my suggestion, and that's all it is:
    If you want to label your generation; if you cannot live without such a moniker, just choose the one that "artificiallly" tends to be associated with the music you most like.

After all, this a musician's website, not an age/ageism website.

If I could have it my way, I'd be a late-sixties dude (i.e., bass-sentient and old enough to play). To me, that was the watershed flash-in-the-pan (albeit very self-destructive) amazing place to be if you were into rock-bass. All the "side-man" [sic] conventions were being chucked and the guitarists (some of them) weren't too shabby either.

So, y'all know what? I am a late-sixties dude. Period.

The Sixties: I'm been talkin' 'bout my generation. Who cares when I was actually around n' rockin?' From blue-rock to funk-rock, bassists were emerging from the shadows and changing rock (and the word; music CAN change the world) forever.

:bassist:

8. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    When Black Sabbath came along they let folks know that it wasn't all hippie
    daisies and love ins going on in the world.