1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

generator into power supply

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Apr 3, 2006.

1. hey there guys and gals,

my band is playing tomorow (reason's not important) but we will basically be on a trailor behind an SUV, we wont be moving, but we wong have anything to plug into. i was wondering if its safe to use a gas generator as a power supply on a powered mixer, guitar and bass amps, etc....

thanks guys

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Use surge protectors on everything for sure. It'd be best to use a power conditioner (these protect against over-voltage like a surge protector, and also function to "boost" voltage up to normal in an under-voltage situation) but they're a lot more expensive and harder to come by. You don't find power conditioners at Home Depot.

Small generators are often pretty "dirty" as far as power supplies go (by "small" I mean anything smaller than the size of a train car); voltage will fluctuate quite a bit. Make SURE you don't exceed your generators capacity. Add up all the wattage of your PA system, monitors, bass rig, guitar rigs, lighting, etc. and be sure the generator will cover it. Usually, overloading a generator will just cause it to stall, but occassionally it'll fry it.

3. cool, we ended up not needing it today, but it'll come in handy in the future

on a side note, my drummer did a 2.6 mile drum solo while being towed behind an explorer through campus today, got a lot of classic and priceless looks.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Even though the issue has been resolved, it's not really a recording equipment question, so I'll move this to the "amps" forum.

5. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

one slight (but important) correction to the above comment..
    a power conditioner is a glorified circuit breaker, besides filtering RF, it's only protective function is to shut down during voltage surges, just like a circuit breaker.
    What you really need with a power generator is a VOLTAGE REGULATOR, these are the units that will regulate consistent voltage from surges and brown out.and yes, they can cost some coin.