Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genesis fans - keep your fingers crossed!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by keb, Oct 16, 2005.

1. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Steve Hackett has been recently quoted saying that the classic lineup of Genesis (Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Tony Banks, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford) may indeed be reuniting, and that there is a meeting scheduled with their management on November 20.

All I can say is... whoah.

(Details and more thoughts over on the Genesis forum: http://hit.demonhosting.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/ )

2. If this is true, that's a sweet tour!

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Awesome! This sounds weird, but I almost hope they DON'T compose anything new, but tour with all the Gabriel era stuff. I just have a feeling that they are all so jaded by the musical world that it would turn into an ego battle of sorts, but the musical result wouldn't compare to anything they did in the past.

I'd love to see them, no doubt for $50 or more though... :meh:

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    If they do, I will fly or drive where ever I must, pay whatever I must to see them.

ESPECIALLY if they do some of the stuff from "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" and "Selling England By The Pound"!!!

:hyper:

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Too incredible to believe. I would cry if they did. It would be sooooooooooo life-changing.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Try more than $100 . . . . I think I paid around $85 a seat to see Gabriel last year.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I don't know if I should start a new thread for this, but can anyone suggest me some good proggy Genesis albums?

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway are my two favorites (and many others' faves for that matter) from the Gabriel era. My favorite 4-man-lineup album (after Gabriel left) is A Trick of the Tail.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Any album from this lineup is excellent, but I think my favorite is "Fox Trot". You can't go wrong with this Genesis era. Of course, when Collins sat at the helm a new riot of fans appeared, but after Peter Gabriel left, Genesis became one of the worst pop bands to me.

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    "trick of the tail " is sweet nostalgia for me :)

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    "...Well, they've got no horns
    And they've got no tails
    They don't even know of our existance..."

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't care - I saw them together in 1973 at their peak!! ;)

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Typical Bruce, always tryin' to rain on someone's parade!!!

:spit: :spit:

;)

...lucky BASTADGE!!!

:spit:

:D

...hey, waitaminit...I just realized, THAT MAKES YOU OLD!! :hyper: :D

I was all of 10 at the time...and I don't think my folks would have approved of me going to a rock concert at that point...

;)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Actually I wasn't much older than that - that was my first gig ever - went with 2 or 3 friends, Brighton Dome - totally overwhelming!!

As it was my first gig I remember every minute of it - but especially Gabriel as Watcher of the Skies - then changing costumes instantly on stage, hidden by pyrotechnics etc. etc. :)

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    If they do this, I'm hoping they do THAT kind of stuff. That's what I want to see, the "full monty" of a classic Genesis show!!!!

:hyper:

16. Bruce Lindfield

Thing is - you accuse me of being old...but I was a kid when I went to see Genesis live in their prime in '73 - that must mean the band members, like Gabriel are incredibly old!! :eek:

Gabriel on a motorised wheelchair..? :D

17. Bruce Lindfield

Peter Gabriel in 73 :

[​IMG]

Peter Gabriel now :

[​IMG]

:D

18. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Hmmmm, I wonder if they'll play ABACAB :D

19. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    There's a pretty great Gabriel era Genesis tribute band out there called The Musical Box. Their show, simply put, is stunning. The songs, set list, etc are performed exactly like Genesis did it. They use vintage instruments, mics and amps and they even aquired some of the actual stage props that Genesis used...

The singer that does Gabriel is unbelieveable. He even had a triangle shaved into his head for the 'Selling England' show. I think they are currently performing the Lamb. It's funny, but I can't see Genesis doing their old stuff better than the Musical Box, if you know what I mean...

I don't mean to spam here but I just think it's a pretty cool group:
    http://www.themusicalbox.net

20. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    An update: there was some (emotionally deflating) talk that the meeting was just to get together and discuss future archival releases and reissues and such... BUT, Peter Gabriel mentioned briefly on the TV show Extra that they ARE getting together to talk about a reformation. Grapevines and rumors indicate that Peter Gabriel is more interested in working on new Genesis material, rather than revisiting the older stuff.