Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genre names...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Genre names. It's always been a kind of pet hate of mine. The way that people subdivide stuff in music. It's not so bad because it means you can find music you like more easily, but just lately there seem to have been a spate of new 'names', e.g. today I found:

"Anyone else like post-hardcore/screamo music?"

What's the weirdest one you've heard?
    Anyone else in my boat?

Mark.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Someone turned me onto a band called Bluth.
    I find the cd at Tower online & they're described as "Carribean-Psycho Funk".

AMG has a host of genres/sub-genres & descriptions...minutia at its best(?).
    www.allmusic.com

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I don't like it that much either. Though it's kind of handy when you're describing a band to another person. Inevitably, when you tell someone about another band, the first thing they ask you is "What do(es) (he/she/they) sound like?". In those situations genre's and sub-genres are useful, because things like "they're hard" or "they're really melodic" are kind of dopey.

But it does get on my nerve when people try to argue over what sub-genre a band is like "They're not metalcore, they're straight-up crusty grindcore/power violence with a bit of tribal and industrial in them"

Stupidest one: "Ska-punk-loungecore"

4. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    meh i completley agree keep the genre's simple i never understood why people make them more complex

:yeah i play in a post-apolcoliptic/pyscho dwarf/new-age mallet band"
    or...um something like that:meh:

5. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I don't get bothered by them, no matter how many genre names there are to accurately describe band "A", chances are all of them give you a good idea as to what they sound like. Genres and sub-genres are to a point that they're not only music-subjective but person subjective.
    Anyways, I think it's fun to put together absurd genre combinations and see if you can convince someone that the genre actually exists.
    "Yeah, my band's mostly punk-core nintendo metal, but some would say that we're Electronic Hardcore blues. but, you know, we don't like labels that much"
    That's every psuedo-intellectual rock musician I've ever talked to.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I also am bugged by sub genres.

I honestly don't care about all the different types of metal, or electronic, or rock...etc.

Sure they have their place, but for the most part, it's pretty irrelevant.

I wouldn't go around correcting people that my music is actually trip hop not down tempo.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I just hate the word, itself..."genre." I avoid saying it as much as possible.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    E-Z CREATE-A-GENRE

COLUMN 'A'
    • Industrial
    • Neu
    • Melodic
    • Indie
    • East Coast
    • West Coast
    • Dirty South

COLUMIN 'B'
    • Jazz
    • Metal
    • Psycho
    • Lounge
    • Screamo
    • Punk
    • Dub
    • Emo
    • Roots
    • Grind
    • Trance
    • Prog
    • Screwed
    • Old School

COLUMN 'C'
    • Core
    • Americana
    • Pop
    • Billy
    • Hop
    • Rap
    Instructions: Take one from each column, separate each term with hyphens, and -- voilá -- instant subgenre! Placing terms in order other than A-B-C is permitted, however there will be a 50¢ substitution charge.

Examples:
    Post-Lounge-Core
    Neu-Jazz-Pop

...You get the picture

:ninja: :D

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Personally, I don't understand the hatred of genres. They don't bother me.

Anyway, stay informed, and listen with your ears, not your eyes, and I think you'll be fine.

10. Whenever I heard the term, "acid jazz," I imagined guys tryin' to blow 64th notes on trumpet, and then dropping dead. Then I listened to a few "best of acid jazz" compilations - BIG DOG IN THE CITY!

Most of that stuff just sounds like bossa nova tunes w/Wes Montgomery style rhythm licks breaking a sweat. :D

At least that's what it sounds like to me.

BTW, I like most acid jazz. :cool:

Mike

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What gets me is how the hipper-undergrounder-kewler-than-thou set employs ridiculously tortured and/or cryptic terminology to demonstrate that they're cool and you're not because you're not hip to what they're hip to. Standing on genres and subgenres just seems so divisive too, especially in towns/cities where all the kids say "aww, the music scene sucks here," yet they organize themselves into insular little groups that only go to see bands that fit some narrow image/sound niche.

I guess it's all about the context in which genre terms are used... or maybe I'm just full of it. I'm never sure.

12. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Hehe brings Geekcore to mind. Dillenger Escape Plan anyone :bassist: ?

peace
    -Ben

13. Genres? I always laught when you hear someone who wants to categorize Primus.
    "Psicodelic-Polka"-Les Claypool
    "Progressive Freak out music"-Ler Lalonde

A friend o mine, told that he thought that my band was an Gothic-Progresive-Funk-Metal.
    In my head there are 6 genres.
    Clasical, Jazz, Blues, Pop, Rock, Primus:D

Peace, Love and Psicodelic Polka.

Mike

14. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Argh, I hate trying to classify music!

Music is music. You can't describe it properly until you hear it.

If I ran over and said, "Hey! Listen to Leafsnake! They have this really great Post-Metal-Progressive-Rock-Dance-Neuvo thing!" you'd think I was some sort of lunatic.

Just pop in some earphones and hum along :)

15. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Aren't they Math-core? ;)

My thoughts fall in line with SMASH's. As long as the genres (sorry, canopener :D) stay away from the rediculous titles, such as "Dirty South Jazz Pop" (thanks, secretdonkey,) the various types are fine with me.