Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genre-specific/wide effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Hi. I'm gonna be buying me a distortion pedal soon, but I realised that a distortion pedal isn't used n all of the music I listen to. Maybe 5 or 6 of the 15 or so bands use it....anyway, I wanted to know if there are any effects that are always used in a certain genre, or if any effect is used in one genre only, in your experience?

Cheers

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd say a good (stereo) chorus is a good first choice.
    You can use it anywhere, from a chorus-laden fretless jazz solo to a hard Nu Metal slap riff.

3. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Probably a Chorus, maybe an Octave Pedal? If you play in a small group it would help fill some holes (is that the correct term?) in the sound. A stereo chorus would do that to, just in a different way. I think that any effect can be used in any style, it just depends on how it is used, and who is playing. An original thinking player can make almost anything fit, within the boundries of taste.

Lee

4. You seem to have misunderstood me, I mean an effect that is really specific to a genre..not something I should buy! :D

5. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Oh..so thats what you ment! Any way, I still think Chorus or Octave are genre wide effects (lean more towards chorus, though).