1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gentle bass overdrive - what's the current solution?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Sep 4, 2008.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, I did a search - - but new products come out every week it seems. For a while it appeared everyone loved the Fulltone Bass-tone... but there seems to be other stuff out...

What I'm looking for is that grind you can get with an old SVT if you push it - so I figure I'd want something tubeish (like everyone else, yes?) but I mostly play funk/jazzy stuff, so I don't need to have a BIG BUZZ, if you know what I mean...

thx

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I would go with the Tech21 VT Bass pedal for what you are describing. I have both the VT Bass and the Fulltone Bass-Drive and I think that what you are describing is a little closer to the VT Bass. Both are good pedals though.

3. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Fulltone Bass-Drive.

4. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    PolishLove pedal is all the rave right now. Search Lil Jovi for my review on it.

5. The old Tube Works Blue Tube, or one of Dave Hall's pedals.

MM

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    tech 21 can help i think. look into the sansamp and VT Bass units.

also: Barber LTD Special Recipe ("SR).

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Cream Pie :ninja:

8. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Cream pie, or ashdown lomenzo hyperdrive

9. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    The LoMenzo hyperdrive. I use it for subtle overdrive, fullblown distortion and drive to control the sound further. It gota few knobs. One in and one out, to control the strenght of the signals in and out of the pedal obviously. Frequencyknob to tune which frequencies you wish to apply your signals, driveknob to choose level of distortion applies and a mixknob to tune how much of you settings you want to apply to the original sound. Also two switches, one to up the volume by 10dB and one to pitch the sound half a octave.
    All the features makes it insanely versatile, you should check it out.

10. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Interstellar Overdrive or if you have LOTS of money to invest, look at the ZVex Super Duper 2 in 1!

11. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    +1

12. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    the fulltone is found was a little on the heavier side, i personally wanted a light OD and found it in an EBS Multidrive (it has a tubesim mode and is gentle). but if u want an actual tube od, check out the EBS Valvedrive. u should try em out and see what u can afford/use. gc has a few options, but boutique stores might carry the more obscure pedals like skeddy n watnot.. might be fun to check out as many as u can. who knows, maybe you'll be satisfied with just a Boss odb3..

13. Any opinion on the Jacques Tube Blower or the Keeley Moded Boss Blues Driver?:bag:

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 EBS Valve Drive, as usual.

15. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    All of the Barber LTDs - Silver, SR, or original- would fit the bill. They provide some mid-saturation and mild to moderate OD. Not exactly like the SVT grind, to my ears, but very useable and flexible, nonetheless. Internal trimpots for bass and presence add to the unit's flexibility. Personally, I love it with the OD dimed and the P pup soloed. Very old-school, bloated and throaty roar.

Simply- it rocks!:bassist:

16. BassPirate

BassPirate Devolved Ninja

Jun 5, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I absolutely adore my Frantone Lo-Tone for this purpose.

I will note, however that it's not quite as nice with active basses (still works, just not quite as dependable).

I've got a Bogdan on order (if he ever gets back to me).

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Lots of great suggestions for you to look into already. To add to the list, I love my MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe for low to medium gain overdrive. Great pedal and plays well with active basses.

18. The Jacques Tube Blower is very nice .

It's basically an upgraded Tube Screamer. the drive has much more range in both directions. So it's easy to dial in clean to mid level distortion.
    The bass and treble controls make it very bass friendly..

Over all it's good overdrive.

MM

19. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm gonna chime in on the opposite side.

The DOD 250 does a reasonable job of the mild grit. And it's easy on the wallet :)

20. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    DHA Std Bass