1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gentlemen... lend me your ears.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Meddle, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Hey guys. I'm the bassist in a band here in Edinburgh, Scotland, and we are all hungry for feedback etc... I especially wouldn't mind comments on the bass playing, tone etc...

My band, Screenkids.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    The bass playing did it role in the music. I have a few gripes with it, but I don't want to be negative. Keep working on the bands sound as a whole is all i will say.

You asked about your tone. Its just like, the vocals, the drums, and the guitar have a ton of reverb and your bass has hardly none, so it kind of sticks out. A good thing to hear you, yes. A good thing to make the band sound even, not so much. Some of the parts have way too much reverb at times. Maybe you guys should cut back on some of it so its less muddy and has more presence. Try to bring the band closer to your tone, and a little away from theirs.

3. DarkArwen

DarkArwen

Oct 29, 2009
    My speakers are kind of crummy and I lost my headphones, but here goes.
    Your tone sounds pretty good and I like it. I don't necesarily agree with , because of course you overall sound is a matter of your own preference. Keeping your sound cleaner works very well. The fact that I can hear you at all on my laptop (except for Aquatic) speaks well of your choice.

4. J.D.B.

J.D.B.

Mar 11, 2007
    Michigan
    I like the lines. "Aquatic" is a nice little tune. I like the space, too. The vocal is a bit too forward in the mix for me. The bass tone is very serviceable. The distortion on it at about 2:40 I could do without. It was nicer clean. You're hooking up with yer drummer nicely and it's cool that he's not an "over-embellisher", too. You guys sound like you'll mature nicely. I like the stuff, so far! I can drive to it early in the A.M. (Comfy)...

Josh

Josh

5. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Thanks guys, interesting points. I think we keep sending the tracks back to the producer to get a better sound. The first time he mixed our stuff without any dynamics and the bass was missing all the bass end. A very poppy indie sound to begin with. Live we sludge it down on the bass and drums and the singer/sax/synth and guitar floats out on top like oil on water (apparently). Its not our live sound but its cool I guess.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020