genuine fender '75 jazz RI neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Is there a way to order an actual fender neck (decal identical) from a '75 jazz bass RI? and if so, how would the price of a new neck like that compare against and actual 70's j bass neck? I'm in the works of building a frnankenfender replica of a 70's jazz bass, and want to get as close to the original look as possible but with as many new parts as i possibly can.
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    No decal but here's the neck:

I belive that is the vintage look you're aiming for, identical dimensions etc but decal free, you could probably get the decal seperatley, Warmoth may even be able to include it for you, I'm not sure.

But no, Fender do not sell necks individually as far as I'm aware, they liscence companies like Warmoth to build "replacement" necks to the origional specifications though.
  3. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Genuine reissue? That strikes me as humorous. I would go with the Warmoth, don't know if they could finish it so the finish is tinted slightly. I've heard tell that decals are sometimes available ( its illegal of course) at guitar shows by people coming in and offering them to booth holders. Making a decal would be even easier thanks to the computer age. But does it have to say Fender?
  4. TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    You can always look on eBay for decals. There's a bunch of them on sale right now.
  5. beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Fender was selling "genuine fender replacement" necks, though I've heard somewhere that they;ve stopped. The only jazz bass neck they offered, AFAIK, was a "62 reissue." Here's one website that lists one for sale.

I bought one of those replacement necks for a telecaster guitar project, and it was very nicely made -- though it did need a fret crowning once the instrument was assembled to be really perfect. It had a "geneuine Fender replacement" logo branded into the back of the headstock.
  6. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Well, for example, if someone owned a fender jazz bass with a particular neck, say a Marcus Miller jazz, and the neck broke or was damaged, how would he/she go about getting a replacement neck for the bass? Or would they have to go out and buy a new bass to get the same look?
    In terms of the j bass look i am going for, i've kinda lucked out. The '75 reissue j in natural is exactly want i want, minus the ashtrays (which are removable) and with a white pickguard (which can be purchased on-line for cheap) and badass bridge ( :bassist: ). For some reason having the fender logo and big block "Jazz bass" insignia on the headstock is important to me. Can't say why, it just seems to be some stylistic intangible that gets my attention.
  7. TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Fender will still replace parts if the warranty is still in effect, but it's a pretty annoying procedure. Here's what says:

Does Fender sell any replacement guitar necks and bodies?

In some instances Fender may authorize an accommodation sale of a guitar neck or body through one of our Authorized Fender Service Centers, but only as a direct replacement for a neck or body which is either defective, or damaged beyond repair. An authorization will not be made to simply meet a players desire to purchase a replacement for any other reason.

To see if your instrument qualifies under Fender's criteria for neck and body replacement, you will need to bring your guitar to an Authorized Fender Service Center for an evaluation by an Authorized technician along with a series of photographs showing:

1. The entire front of the instrument.
    2. The entire back of the instrument.
    3. A close-up photograph of the headstock.
    4. A close-up photograph or a lead pencil rubbing of the neckplate showing either serial number or other Fender markings.

An Authorized technician would determine a verification of the authenticity of the instrument as well as the need for either a replacement neck or body at that time. The Service Center would then send the photographs and appropriate documentation to our technical support staff here at Fender for consideration of the request.

If approved by Fender, an authorization for the sale of a new neck or body would then be made, and the Service Center would place an order for the replacement part at that time. The new neck or body most closely matching the specific parts ordered would then be released and invoiced to the Service Center. (Please understand that exact replacements may no longer be available, depending on the age and model of your instrument and a substitution may be required). You would then arrange between yourself and the Service Center the necessary repairs needed to complete your instrument.

All costs involved, including the cost of the replacement part, shipping, insurance, and repairs are solely the responsibility of the customer.

At that point, you're probably better off buying the parts yourself and having a guy you trust fix it up. This is especially true if you need your bass fixed quickly.

Supposedly, Fender doesn't sell replacement bodies and necks anymore because they fear the parts just feed the forgery market. They also put heavy restrictions on their licensed parts dealers too. That's why Warmoth cannot give you decals with their necks and why WD won't sell kits with the Fender headstock.

If you really care about the decal and the block inlays, get your neck from Warmoth or Allparts and scrounge around the guitar shows or eBay for decals.

Keep in mind though that that's trademark infringement. You're not Fender and even if the thing is made from all-Fender parts, your product is legally not a Fender, so you can't go appropriating their logo against their wishes. You probably won't go to jail as long as you're not trying to sell it off to the wrong person, but you're not doing anything that legal either. Don't make a habit of mass-producing and selling your replicas.