1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genuine Fender tuners on Squier Bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GerardoRicc, Nov 16, 2018.

1. I was about to buy some hardware upgrades for my Squier basses.
    The tuners in particular aren’t very good and I wanted to put Fender 70’s Style tuners on both my Precision and Jazz

The only thing that could give me some problems is the screw spacing for the mounting plates.
    I have a P 70’s Classic Vibe and a Jazz Vintage Modified, both of them have different tuners.

I thought about writing this here for some help since some of you may have experience of the subject.

D507BC08-A6A1-4406-ADB5-1FB45BD5B5E6.

E7E0C7F4-863C-4D20-A96D-01F4C3DDEF21.

BDB147B2-581E-4B5F-859E-CC81EC09428A.

2. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

My Mexican Fender basses use the same tuners as Squier. Hipshot also has drawings with exact measurements to know which to choose.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The tuners on Squier basses are fine. You won't 'upgrade' them by changing the tuners, at best you will be taking a step sideways. Both the Hipshot HB2 and HB3 are duplicates of tuners Fender used at one point, and both are available with long shafts if you prefer. The Schaller BMF is also still available and is what the HB2 is based on, though the Schaller is no longer available with a long shaft. Deligent searching may actually turn up tuners that are stamped 'Fender'. The tuners on the precision appear to be Schaller BM tuners (probably a Chinese copy) with a long shaft. You have a ready used market for them with me. Once you replace them IM me, perhaps we came come to a fair arrangement.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Pilgrim likes this.
  4. Well the problem is that in my Jazz two of the tuners are basically stuck so that’s the main reason.

Thanks for clarifying this up, so at this point I’ll just replace the tuners on the Jazz Bass and leave the Precision as it is. As for your offer, consider I’m in Italy, I really don’t know about shipping prices, so don’t worry, but really, thanks.

5. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Worst case, the edge of the plates will overlap a bit. Has no impact on function and un noticable if ya dont know. Ive done this using the old style huge backing plate tuners on squires

6. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Stuck? Try this, remove the string from the stuck tuner. Now, loosen the screw on the gear almost completely. Rap the handle of the screw driver on the screw. That will drive the post out of the gear. You can now remove the post and gear, be careful there is a slip sheet (plastic) and leaf spring (metal) under the gear. Bend the leaf spring slightly. Reinsert the post, then the spring so it is holding the worm gear up. Install the slip sheet on top of the leaf spring and under the gear. Reinsall the gear and restring. See if that helps. If the slip sheet is missing you can put mylar tape on the spring and cut to fit. If the spring is missing, or the above doesn't work, NOW it's time for new tuners.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  7. Will do.
    Even tho it’s not doing it anymore now...

8. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Check your post diameter before buying. I'm thinking the 70's model fender tuners had a larger diameter tuning post than the smaller backed mim and Squier models.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't know about 70s tuners but 60s reverse-wind tuners have notches on the plate that would prevent them from easily installing onto a modern Fender without the notch holes. Something to keep in mind.

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If it’s stuck, the back gear bolts may be loose allowing the gear to become misaligned and jam. Try tightening them.

11. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    To my knowledge Gotoh is the only one still doing that silliness, Hipshot long ago eliminated those clutch clips.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.