Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jordan Luff, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Anybody know if Genz•Benz is worth anything? I'm looking for a new combo...

Genz•Benz ML 200-115T Combo

It looks like an interesting deal...It's either this or a Fender Bassman 200. Any help? :)
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've never heard their amps (no local dealers) but I've owned one of their cabinets (1-12) for a few years and it's good stuff, certainly as good as or better than any Fender product.
  3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Send a PM or email to craigb. If I'm not mistaken he uses one of those combos for his gigs. I own some of their cabs and I love them. I think that their cabs are better than Fender cabs.
  4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've got two GB combos - one ML200-112T and an older ML-12T (same drivers w/simpler head and 135W). I've had the ML-12T for several years and just got the ML200-112T in December.

The ML-12T was my first ever bass amp. It sounds pretty good and had enough "oomph" for the uses I had for it (practices and house parties). The preamp was very simple (bass, treble, mid) and it gave your basic clear, solid-state sound. The cab/driver is maybe a tiny bit blurry on the lowest notes of a four string but nothing you'd notice without comparing it to something better and definitely not noticeable (to me) in a group situation.

I liked the sound, construction and reliability (I've not had any problems) of the ML-12T enough to get the ML200-112T to pair with it. I had a head/cab setup for a while but it did not fit well in my car and was a pain to lug around. Also we all go through the PA and the head/cab was too bulky for the coffeehouse we'd been playing. My ML-12T got a lot of use as a powered stage monitor (for everything) and having a second combo gave me more options.

The ML200-112T has more features than the older one. There is a separate gain/master setup (I think that's the right terminology), active/passive input pad, 3-band eq, several buttons for eq presets (scooped, deep, etc.) and a tuner out. I like it's flexibility. I also really like the kickback design. There are two things I don't like, or really features that are "missing" (not that they are there on the direct competition):

- it has a tuner out but no mute switch. You can dial the master down and tune then dial it back up but that won't mute you in the PA if you are using the DI out. My Hartke head had a mute switch so you could tune silently and that was a nice feature.

- I think the splittable power amp thing is of questionable value. If you don't put the full 200W into the internal speaker (200W at 8Ohms) you put 100W@4Ohm from one site into the internal speaker and can connect another speaker to the other 100W@4Ohm side. Maybe I'm just dense but that doesn't seem like a great benefit to me. If it were 200W into the internal 8 Ohm speaker and then you could put on an extension 8 0hm speaker and get a total of more than 200W into the resulting 4 Ohm load then that would seem more useful to me.

At any rate I like the GB ML combos. I've got two of them and have never had a problem (there was a manufacturing defect on the ML200-112T, a loose bolt, but that was handled immediately by my local dealer). I like the sound (I'm a solid state guy, I guess), the kickback design and the reliability. I recommend them and my local dealer gave me a better price than Musician's Friend on a first offer (I didn't even bring MF up, I just asked how much for the ML200-112T and his price was better).

The direct out and effects loops (unfortunately not blendable) are nice features. I suspect I'd like the sound of the ML200-115T even better than my 112T but it wouldn't fit easily in my car. Let me know if you have any other questions.
  5. Thanks very much, Craig. I just got back from Mars (drummers night out--free pizza and soda!! :D) and played the Fender Bassman for the first time, so I'm certain it's either that or the GB. Thanks for all the help! I'm gonna try to find a local store that has them...can you find them at GC?
  6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've never seen any in a GC in my area Jordan but that's not saying much. Here in Denver there's not much of anything in the stores unless it's a product from a well known manufacturer. Go to the Benz site and search for dealers. I hope you are able to find a place that has one is stock. I would love to hear your opinions about it.

Genz Benz
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My one and only encounter with a Genz-Benz was at one of these "bar tour" things where we where the third band for the evening. So, I just used what was available. It was rack components and a GB 2-10 from their XB-2 series.

When I saw it was just two 10's, I thought, "Oh jeez! My B string is going to beat this thing like a rented mule" . But it gave me a big, thick, bottom without distortion and sounded good through the bins, too. I was really impressed!

As for how it handles top end, I don't know. I didn't have time to diddle with the dials.
  8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Here in Houston I go to a small shop that carries GB. I've never seen them at GC. Genz Benz recently signed a deal with Kaman so if you know a place that carries Hamer, Ovation, etc. then they might have Genz Benz stuff as well. I bought my original combo because they had it on the floor but it's a small place and I ordered the second one sight-unseen. Now they have one of the ML200-210Ts but only the entry level combos otherwise (they are primarily an acoustic guitar shop). Ebozzz had the best idea of checking the Genz Benz website for local dealers - you can call them and see if they have what you want. Otherwise you could take advantage of Musicians Friend's return policy to check it out.

I thought Atlanta was too hot until I moved to Houston. I miss Georgia now that I live in Texas.
  9. I checked it out and there is a pawn shop about 5 minutes away that carries GB. Taking advantage of MF's return policy is a good idea--except I don't have the money yet. Since GC and Mars carry Hamer and Ovation, think maybe they might start carrying GB?? That would be helpful.
    Anyway, until I get the money, I'll call the pawn shop and ask them about the combo. I think I may call my local Mars and GC stores to ask them if they may start carrying GB never know. Thanks!
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I had a similar experience using rented gear in Phoenix once. G-K 800 (not my favorite head, but one I was quite familiar with) through 2 Genz Benz 4-10 XBs. I had about 3.5 minutes to get a sound (while the vocalists checked for an hour ... you know the drill). Like you, I ended up being quite impressed with the sound of those G-B cabs. Much nicer than what I was usually getting on that circuit, which was mostly Hartke. And some real low B beef, to boot. Bulky suckers, though; I wouldn't want to cart them around!

Don't know anything about their amps, though.