Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

genz 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, May 9, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    anybody had a chance to really let one of these have it? how do they sound? as good as the aggie?just wonderin before i pay my hard earned cash for a cab.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    After my Aggie experience I'm kind of kicking myself for not trying a second 12T with the one I had.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got a Benz GB-12T that I got used and I like it a lot. Never seen the Aguilar cabs because there's none in my area. Very nice cab with good tone that's also very cost effective.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    from the BP review, the LS-112T sounded like something i'd really want. i did try a 210 which i was impressed with. good construction too. better than Nemesis, i'd say.

5. Brad, what happen with your "Aggie experience"?

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Joker,

I think that the description that they gave of the Benz 112 in BP is pretty accurate. I've got my 112 and a 410T-STD. I have had a chance to hear the 410 up against an Eden which I think was the XLT series. The Eden was better but not overwhelmingly so and this was only the standard series Benz. I wonder how the XB2 series Benz would stack up against the same competition?

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    has anybody geard the aggie and the genz side by side.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It might be hard to find someone who has done that SRG. Genz Benz don't get no respect so a lot of people don't even consider it as a serious option. Have you tried the Benz 112? If so, what did you think of it?

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's the same probalem that I had. If I found a Genz Benz dealer in my area, none of them had any of the cabs in stock. I got lucky and found my 410 used with a local TalkBass member and I was able to try it out before I bought it. Based on the positive experience with it, I decided to get the 112 without trying one first. I haven't regretted it one bit. The Aguilar is about $100.00 more IIRC but if you can get similar quality and save that $100.00 that's the move that I would make. I want an XB2 cab next. I hope that it works out for you however you decide.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the genz seems like it'd be a great tonal option, but i just cant get over the look. not really into the "opposing" speaker color scheme. :(

i hate to be petty but the graphics designer in me wants to do a makeover on their logo, then hire an industrial designer to redo the look of the cabs. then they'd have somethin'!

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I hear you Joker. I like strawberry and you may be a chocolate man. I actually think that they look kinda right to me. ;) You're not the first person that I've heard that from though.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own a GB-12T as well as Epifani and Bergantino 12s.
    Don't ask why ;)

Anyway, the GB sounds pretty darn good UNTIL you put it up against the others which sound bigger, tighter and crisper. Also they cost over twice as much :rolleyes: The GB is much lighter, but oddly enough is actually a larger box.

I have never heard an Aguilar 12 so can't comment but based on everything I hear people say, I would suspect it would be superior to the GB as well.

I would say it's a budget call: the GB is good "for the money", especially used ones as they usually go for under $200.

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    thats what i needed thanx

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Dag, Brian!

can i come over sometime??? :D :D

seriously, tho, i'd love to hear your impressions of the Aggie vs. the Bergie vs. the Epi.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've heard his impression of the Bergie:

"Boom-tada-buddah"

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Had one, it was okay. Then I tried two and the difference was huge.

It would have been nice to try two 12T's.

18. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    how did one aggie compare to 1 genz brad?

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Keep in mind that the GB-12T is an older model. The newer LIVE Series LS-112T has been redesigned. Still the other more expensive cabs do probably outperform the Benz 112.

[​IMG]

By the way Adrian Garcia is a brand new Aguilar dealer and has a couple of the 112s on the way.

Access-Bass

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Good question. I honestly don't remember. I liked both in quiet situations alone but on gigs they fell short. I did have the older 12T cab. I found the 12T in mint condition for $150 a few years back. They don't turn up used often.