Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

genz 610 XB2, appeg 610 HLF, eden 410 XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Dec 9, 2002.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hi everyone, after a long break ive decided to return to the boards, and i have a question.

im considering the genz benz 610 XB2, the ampeg 610 HLF, and possibly an eden 410 XST or XLT. right now i have carvin R600 that will put 700W into a 4 ohm load. id like to keep that. im running a 210+18 setup that sounts great biamped, i love the "slam" of the 18, but people in the back of the club cant hear me, so im looking for something more efficient than my carvin 210 and home made 18.

i play 5 strings exclusively, and exercise the B string a lot with a blues/rock/funk band.

ive played through the 610 HLF, and liked the wall of sound it produced, and it had decent bass response. any comparison to the GB cab? i know the benz has a lower response and is more efficient, which is why im particularly interested.

ive also liked the eden 410 XLT, im just worried that it may not be enough.

youve got 700 watts and about $800 to play with, what would you guys do?

thanks.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you're looking for a 6x10, and loud, there's only one real choice:

SWR goliath senior

loud, low, handles 1000w, did i mention loud? i got mine new for 900 but 3 days later there was one at the local music-go-round for 500.

i tried using my 260 watt AMP head with it at my gig on saturday night, and with the mastervolume under 1/2 i was STILL blowing people off the stage.

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thanks for the reply! ill be sure to check that one out.

the one thing that bothers me is that i usually dont like the tone of SWR stuff. especially the goliath and goliath jr. cabs. i like a warmer sound, most of the SWR stuff ive played through struck me as too harsh sounding. does that make sense?

4. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I own an Ampeg 610HLF and it has WAY better low end than the Goliath Sr. I blew up in May. I would go with the Ampeg, it has a much better rock tone than the others, IMO. If you play alot of slap bass or jazz, I wouldn't go with the Ampeg.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yes, that does make sense: to my ears, with my rig, SWR cabinets sound too harsh when the tweeters are left at full volume. So, I roll the tweeter attenuators back 75% and all is good.

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thanks for all the input, please don't stop!

i play a ton of slap bass, nearly all of my jams evolve around some sort of slapped/tapped line. I'm also defenitly looking for whatever puts out the best low end. most of the music i play with bands however is fingerstyle rock/blues.

does anyone have any experience with the genz benz 610 XB2? or any GB XB2 cab?

i know the sensitivity is rated as 105 dB@1W/1m, and the frequenzy response as 30-16kHz. I can get one for 900+shipping, the HLF is like 850+taxes at GC.

also, anyone compared either 610 cab to a high quality 410 like an eden, epifani, aggie, etc?

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've tried the 410T-XB2 and if I were choosing from your list I would take the 610T-XB2 just based on my experience with it's little brother. With the Benz product, I think you get a little of both the SWR and the Ampeg tones. Warmth, tight fat bottom and the highs are still very nice to my ears. That 610-XB is a big one but it does have casters. I've never tried the Epifani, Eden XST or Aguilar cabs but I would take the Benz over the Eden XLT.

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thanks guys for all the responses. i will have to shop around and see what kind of prices i can get. does anyone know of any online retailers that deal with genz benz stuff? its been very hard getting a price, i could only get one from an ebay retailer, so i have a feeling its too high.

these cabinets each handle in the neighborhood of 1000 watts, do you guys think it would work well enough if i push it with 700? id prefer to throw 1500-2000 at them for headroom, but i cant afford that now.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the beauty of super efficient, loud 6x10's is that you can let the cab do all the work. as long as you keep your amp under clipping there won't be any damage, and because these cabs are so loud you won't need to drive your head that far.

like i said before, i hit it with 260 watts the other night and was STILL blowing people off the stage, with the power at about 40%. sounded great too :D

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Bass Palace is a Genz Benz dealer. Also, try Drum City-Guitarland. Jason at the latter gave me a great quote for the Benz cabs at one time. I think that it was under $***.** for the 610T-XB2.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    this genz benz 6x10 is looking really sweet...i think i'm going to look into it some more...

12. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thanks guys.

yeah... see now im used to a power hungry 210+18 setup... and man lemme tell ya that omega pro driver really sucks up the power, its incredibly inefficient (it i remember correctly its about 92 dB from 30-200 Hz, where it gets used.) vs. 105 for the GB thats what.... 13 dB? im no sound engineer, but im pretty sure thats quite significant.

i will look into the bass palace and drum city guitarland as well. thanks again guys! your help is much appreciated. ill keep yall posted should anything come along.

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i used the dealer finder on the genz benz website and none of the local yokels have anything that i can try out. they can, however, order anything i want with 20% down...doesn't that suck? i still wanna try one of these things out. i was thinking that one of their 1x12 cabs got reviewed in bass player a couple months ago, but i can't find the issue anywhere.

14. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    well guys i got quotes from drum city guitarland and the bass palace. i dont know the policy on giving out quotes, so i wont give numbers, but lets say that it costs significantly less than everything else i had mentioned.

also quotes from bass central and drumcity-guitarland were nearly identical, so im pretty confident that its a good price.

if any of you guys get a chance to play through one let us know what you think eh?

so far im not in a position to buy right now what with xmas coming up, but im workin on it.

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It was the March '02 issue with Me'Shell on the cover.

You've got me feeling guilty now! :D I think that I'll go back and edit my earlier post so that I don't step on any toes.

I had a hard time trying to find some of the Benz cabs prior to purchasing the three that I own. My experiences were similar to neptoon's. No one stocked them but they really made a push to get me to order some. I was fortunate enough to be able to find one of the standard series 410s that was being sold locally. I felt so good about it that I bought two of the 112 cabs on faith. I have no regrets.